Before you play the One Step From Eden game, you will definitely want to know these simple but useful tips and tricks. If you have any tips feel free to share with us!
Things to Know Before Playing
- The game is hard. Really hard. It's Mega Man Battle Network style combat taken to its most extreme, so sometimes the screen is just ludicrously flooded with attacks and all you can do is be cool and try to take as little damage as possible. Memorizing enemy patterns is the #1 way at getting better at the game, shortly followed by learning the metagame and what spells and relics synergize well. It takes a while to get good at it.
- Learn to know what spells you have in the chamber from the icons on top of your character. Looking at the bottom of the screen will get you killed in the more difficult fights.
- As always in these Slay the Spire style games, diluting your deck of spells for no reason is a bad idea. Skip the rewards if they're bad or don't synergize with your deck.
- I would strongly recommend you don't look anything up about the metagame. Learning it is incredibly fun and when you put together an OP combo you feel like a genius. You can find some broken combos that will let you breeze through a normal run.
- You can choose two spell categories to focus on in your deck menu. This will make spells drop more often from those schools. This is basically always worth doing.
- You unlock new characters by beating them as bosses in the 4th area (3-0) and beyond. All the characters play very differently from each other. Give them all a try and focus on the one you enjoy playing the most. Some of the characters have abilities that drastically change the game which will make learning it harder - Saffron's alt loadout can slow time, meaning you can react to most attacks instead of learning their patterns. But this doesn't work for any other character.
- After fighting a boss, you can either kill them for more XP and an artifact, or spare them for a big health refill. If you spare them, they will show up during your run to help you. Some don't do much, some are incredibly useful.
- Sparing or killing bosses determines what you unlock at the end of a successful run, as well as the final boss of the run. Light mechanical spoilers: If you spare every boss, you will unlock the current character's alternative outfit. If you kill some and spare some you will unlock the character's alternative loadout. If you kill all of them you can loop your run and you will unlock the character's alternative loadout. You can also unlock the characters' outfits with various achievements.
- Sometimes one of the paths is highlighted in red. This increases Luck on that path, meaning enemies and drops are both better. It also changes other mechanics: items in the shop will cost health. Watch out for the treasure chests.