Before you Play the The Oxenfree game, you will definitely want to know these simple but useful tips and tricks. If you have any tips feel free to share with us!
Things to Know Before Playing
- This is a walking/talking game. There are no game over scenarios so just relax and be spooked.
- You'll need 3 Playthroughs to see the whole story as it continues through NG+ and NG++. Conveniently, you can also 100% the game in exactly 3 Playthroughs.
- There are two kinds of collectibles. Anomalies are the rock piles you'll have to go a little out of your way to find. Just tune your radio like you would with the cursed objects/portals. Two of them are behind radio-locked doors.
- The other are Maggie Adler's letters. They're a little trickier to find because they are not obvious like the piles and can be even farther out of the way. You can't pick them up until you find the WAL radio either. Tune to 140.1 in every map section to hear a clue on its location.
- Adler's letters give valuable insight into the story. Anomalies are just for spookin. Neither will affect how your character acts.
- If you want to preserve Nona and Ren's romance, make sure you leave them together and also talk to them about each other at every opportunity. Make sure to tell Nona that Ren knew she liked him at the bridge.
- It's difficult to make Jonas or Nona hate you, but it's possible: Take the ghost's deal and tell both of them you took it. Near the end, don't help Jonas with the tape Player.
- Taking the portal dooms a certain character.
- Whether your brother lives or not depends on what you tell him in the little dream sequence at the very end.
- You can't make Clarissa like you. Sorry.
- Save Ren first.
- I don't think it ever comes up before the game asks you, so: 85 officers died.
- The game saves on every area transition. If you badly mess up a dialogue option or get stuck in terrain due to spooky bugs, quit out before you do anything else.
- One particular part will loop indefinitely unless you go down instead of up.
- Ren lied: the radio definitely gets reception in most every part of the island.