Before you Play the Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss game, you will definitely want to know these simple but useful tips and tricks. If you have any tips feel free to share with us!
Things to Know Before Playing
- Although you may be tempted to control the game exclusively with your mouse. I find that using keyboard only controls the game better especially in combat. Use your left hand to control movement around wasd and attacking using p, ; and /.
- Keep a eye out for Mantras written on walls and scrolls. They are used at shrines to improve your stats. Each level has at least one shrine.
- You can write notes on your map. Take note of anything and anyone that you come across as you may need to return later.
- As mentioned earlier for fighter classes you need to maximise strength as there is no in game way of improving it.
- I’d recommend using swords as your primary weapon. One of the best swords in the game is requiRed to complete the game.
- Don’t hurry down the stairs too quickly. Spend the time exploring levels and improving your abilities.
- On the first level of the abyss go straight ahead and take the first door to the right. Immediately to your right there is a secret door. Behind that is the silver seed. Take it and plant it anywhere there is dirt. Any time you die you will be resurrected at the tree.
- Take note of any visions you receive. Especially ones from crystal balls. You’ll know why when it happens.
- There are a couple of fountains on the first two levels that can heal you up. Find them and take note on your map.
- Carry a long pole with you at all times as it can be used to activate switches that are out of your reach. If you have a spare pole combine it with thread to make a fishing rod.
- Try and find the ring of levitation and the dragon scale boots.
- Late on in the game you will be asked to find a corpse. The corpse in question is tucked away on level 8. It will be the set of bones that don’t stack.
- There are a few items you will need that may not seem obvious a first. Such as (spoilers) a crown, a bottle of port, a flute, thread, a recipe and it’s ingredients, incense(you’ll need to light up). Anything with a special sounding name (obviously).
- End game spoiler. Just run and don’t turn back. A path back to Britannia is before you.
- Deco Morono.