Before you play the Hades game, you will definitely want to know these simple but useful tips and tricks. If you have any tips feel free to share with us!
Things to Know Before Playing
- The Shield really is that good.
- Not everyone you can give Nectar to is in the base every time you go back, so if you're trying to target a gift for someone, you might have to die a few times.
- Once you've unlocked every weapon, you unlock the ability to customize them. So even if you don't have an interest in some of them, get them anyway.
- Try to give every character a nectar as early as possible because the keepsakes add a lot of strategy in making your builds and it takes a while to level them up fully, which is a big help.
- Generally speaking charge weapons are pretty bad due to the period of vulnerability they leave you. In Hades not getting hit is typically very important as it will force you to spend gold on recovery rather than upgrading yourself. To spear is one of the best weapons in the game due to it's incredibly long range and instant attack animations.
- Every level has a limited number of rooms, and it is generally not advantageous to take any room that gives you keys, shadow shards, ambrosia, or the crafting crystals, as it will reduce your total fighting capacity when you get to the boss.
- Generally speaking you always want to take Daedelous Hammer rooms as these will define your build for the run, then rooms that synergize with your build (it's typically not beneficial to spread over more than 2 deities per run), then shop rooms if you have >300 gold, then gold rooms, then pom rooms, then other god rooms. Worst case scenario you can just sell unwanted buffs between levels.
- Titan's Blood is used to upgrade your weapons and unlock side-grades for them. How much value you get out of it is very dependent on the actual upgrade. Your access to be very limited in the early game, but after you clear the game once you can basically make the challenges harder to get more of it.
- Temporary buffs are almost never worth it (from Charon's Well) unless you're using it to regain health or you think you can have them up and ready for the final boss.
- Enemies will start staggarable but will eventually gain Armor which will act as a second health, while they are so they cannot be staggered.
- On the final level you will face a new mechanic that doesn't get explained: poisoned. Being poisoned sucks and can easily destroy your health pool before the big final battle. There are small yellow springs throughout the level that interacting with will instantly clear your poisoned condition, but they take like 5 seconds to refill.
- You unlock the ability to buy the "alternate exits" upgrade way before you're likely to find it even slightly useful, so don't bother unlocking it until you have a surplus of diamonds - get all other diamond-related upgrades first.
- All region rewards are per-weapon, so switch weapons if you're stuck after a run to continue to get diamonds/titan blood. There's also a 20% darkness bonus on a randomly selected weapon to try and encourage these sorts of rotations.