Before you play the Hotel Dusk: Room 215 game, you will definitely want to know these simple but useful tips and tricks. If you have any tips feel free to share with us!
Things to Know Before Playing
- Save before major conversations. Making the wrong choices (generally anything that results in the dark red response) can lead to people getting offended and leaving early, cutting off the investigation and leading to a game over. You can continue from a game over, but it’s the same as loading from a save and it prevents you from seeing a scene in the ending, so there’s no point to doing it.
- A more explicit note on the above: there is a conversation early on with the maid where you can get the dark red response and a conversation end, but not get a game over. Don’t save; the game over will come when you walk down the stairs and get called out on it by the owner, forcing you to continue if you saved over your file.
- There is one timed section in the game; just accept that it might take you a few tries and be prepared to reload.
- Yes, you really do need two styluses (or a stylus and your finger) for that puzzle.
- There is only a limited amount of time where you can get change for the vending machine, so keep trying until you get it.
- The vending machine doesn’t affect anything, so just give whatever you buy from it to whoever you want. Note that many times conversations/cutscenes just progress without the main menu and give option ever coming up, so like with the change take the opportunities you’re given and don’t assume they’ll come up again. This is specifically relevant to the star prize, as one of the characters who will accept the doll has their last available give spot before you can actually find the last star sticker. Meaning if you want to give it to them you need to guess what the number is. It’s a bit weird. It’s also irrelevant, because the doll goes to the little girl and anyone who does otherwise is a heartless bastard.
- Save right before you use the crowbar.