Before you play the Hyper Light Drifter game, you will definitely want to know these simple but useful tips and tricks. If you have any tips feel free to share with us!
Things to Know Before Playing
- Easiest to hardest from the hub is probably East, North, West, South, but do whatever.
- Warping makes enemies and health pickups respawn.
- There’s a certain mark on the floor, a small square with an “L” shape in it, that tells you a secret is nearby. Keep an eye out for it.
- Get a grenade, the bullet-deflection sword move, and the chain dash. Just about everything else is personal preference, but those are your bread-and-butter, and will save your life many times over. The other sword techniques are good too.
- All of the costumes have slightly different effects, and you’ll figure most of them out as you go, but it’s probably not so much that you can’t afford to just wear what looks the best to you.
- Sometimes, you’ll have to come back later. It happens.
- Immediately after you beat the game, without quitting out, go back to your file and press right for a little epilogue scene. If you miss it, you’ll have to beat the final boss again.
- There are more than four triangle pieces in each section – the game only shows you four on the map because that’s what is required to reach the boss.
- You can double you damage by getting in the habit of hitting the “Fire Gun” button, immediately followed by the “Slash Sword” button. There’s no delay between the two, so you can hit twice in one go. The slashes will adequately recharge the starting gun, so you also never have to stop using this technique because of ammo.
- Your dash will never get longer. If you see an item on a platform that looks too far away, there’s either a way to make a platform leading to it or another pathway to reach it.
- If you see a post that has a black square with an orange dot in it, you need the gun from the North region to activate it.
- Each costume set has three pieces (cape, sword, drone) and equipping one piece from a set gives you that set’s bonus. Wearing multiple pieces from the same set doesn’t amplify their effect, so mixing and matching different pieces gives you more bonuses. This article tells you where to find them and what they do.
- You can get two rewards in the dash shop for chaining together dashes, at 100 and 800(!) consecutive dashes.
- Activating a warp pad in person (not from the map) refills your health without respawning everything.