This guide describes how to fix the GameboxEngineService error which leads to a crash at the first battle.
Guide to Fix First Battle Crash
The Error Message
This is the moment before the first battle starts:
The battle does not load properly. Instead, the following screen appears:
The error message states that the GameboxEngineService encountered an error at initialization, and that you should check the logs for more information:
Error GameboxEngineService:0 – Could not initialize GameBox (-4): check logs in %USERPROFILE%AppDataLocalLowAbrakam Entertainment SARoguebookgamebox_logs
If you check the logs, you will see that several game files have the same id:
Multiple files match the format for script of entity id 9:
- There are actually 67 problematic files, and it is possible to remove the duplicate ids with Python. However, you will encounter other kinds of error afterwards, because the files have not been updated in a long time. For instance:
Compilation Error [GameBox::EntityInfoLibraryServiceImpl::[email protected]] Error(s) while reading entity with id 94 from json:
0x0000000c: Semantic Error – Could not find getter ‘bearer’ on type ‘entity<creature>’
if (castToDeckCard(event.target.killer).heroType == this.bearer.heroType) INDENT
So what you want instead is to fetch the latest build of the game!
You can force an update of your game by forcing download_depot of the public branch.
To do so:
- Open Steam’s console, e.g. by typing Win+R and then:
- Write down the manifestID of the latest build, which you can find on SteamDB.
- Download the game content with:
download_depot 1076200 1076201 manifestID
- For instance, on the day of the game release (June 17, 2021):
download_depot 1076200 1076201 7529912476901754664
NB: The depotID for Windows is 1076201. For Mac, 1076202. For Linux, 1076203.
- Copy steamappscontentapp_1076200depot_1076201 to steamappscommonRoguebook
- Which, in case you need a more detailed process, means to:
- Rename Roguebook to Roguebook_old in steamappscommon
- Copy depot_1076201 from steamappscontentapp_1076200 to steamappscommon
- Rename depot_1076201 to Roguebook in steamappscommon
Caveat: do not ask Steam to verify the game files, or you will be back to square one.