Before you play the Final Fantasy VII Remake game, you will definitely want to know these simple but useful tips and tricks. If you have any tips feel free to share with us!
Things to Know Before Playing
- As for actual combat advice, you can remap several actions to L1+Face Button so that you don't have to use the menu select. This is really good in particular for Tifa since her moves are very combo-heavy and you don't often want to break up the action.
- Characters will build almost no ATB if you're not controlling them directly, so you want to swap often to get the most out of their moveset.
- The Magnify Materia affects more things than you'd think. It will give Cura and Barrier/Manawall an AOE effect, for example.
- If you come across a lot of things in Chapters 8/9 that seem inaccessible at first, you'll have a chance to return later.
- The magnify materia works like the all materia from the original game.
- The dodge has no invincibility frames. You're safer blocking if you can't get away from an attack.
- Attacks with "focus" in the name (i.e. Focus Shot) build a lot of stagger.
- At several points you get better or different awards based on how many sidequests you finish.
- Cloud's counterattack in Punisher Stance is incredibly powerful (block a melee attack in Punisher stance to do the counterattack).
- For the most part, if you miss a powerful item or don't finish a sidequest you won't be able to go back to it until you unlock chapter select after finishing the game. The exception is the research sidequest, which spans the entire game.
- Press one of the triggers (R1 or L1, I don't remember which) on the equipment screen to access all party members' materia slots at once.
- You unlock a chapter selection when you finish the game. In fact, if you are determined to get the platinum trophy, you will be replaying a bunch of chapters several times. Nothing can be permanently lost.
- You'll see some areas with Chinese style decorations with locked doors. Don't worry about them for now, you will be able to get them when you return to the area later in the game.
- You unlock more Limit Breaks from doing Arena fights. Your first trip will be limited to just two characters, but later you will be able to return with the rest of your party.
- There is one character that will exchange your Moogle Medals for useful stuff including items required to finish side-quests. You will be able to return to the area later.
- Most people know, but since this is never actually really advertised in the game or marketing: This is just the Midgard chapter. Meaning it's the first disk that was roughly ~8 hours of gameplay stretched for ~32 hours of gameplay.
- If you press the charge button during Barret's recovery animation from his basic attack, Overcharge will recharge for free.