Guide to Fix Stutter
The developers have heard the communities complaints regarding micro stutters whenever there is a new explosion or model on screen that you have not seen before. This is due to the game caching the shaders. The developers have said a fix will be coming soon, but below is a guide on how you may be able to fix this for yourself in the meantime.
- Switch from DX12 to DX11 for the time being.
- Enable VSYNC.
- Disable Control Flow Guard for the game (Steps for this are below).
How to Disable Control Flow Guard for The Ascent
- Click on the Windows Start Menu and search for Exploit Protection
- Click on the Program Settings tab
- Click + Add Program to Customize
- Select Exact File Path
- Navigate to steamappscommonThe AscentTheAscentBinariesWin64 and select TheAscent-Win64-Shipping.exe
- In the window that appears scroll down to Control Flow Guard
- Check in Override System Settings, turn the setting off, then click Apply.
These are the settings that worked for me! I hope you can find that it helps you too and can start to enjoy this amazing game without the stutter!