Provides information about features of the used game engine and cheats you can use to make the game easier. Or break it.
Guide to Saving without Save Masons, Cheats and Using the Console
Vomitoreum is based on the GZDoom engine, so behind the surface of the game many features of the engine are still existent despite being hidden from the player. This guide will provide a short overview of some of the features I used in my second and later playthroughs to make the game easier … or even break it.
Many if not all of those features may be considered cheating and may spoil your experience of the game, so use at your own risk.
Saving without Save Masons
Differently from Vomitoreum where you are only supposed to save the game at specific checkpoints called Save Masons you could save at anytime in other Doom Engine games. The functionality is still there.
You can access the Save Game menu by pressing F2 at any time.
You may choose a Quicksave slot and afterwards quicksave your game at any time by pressing F6. The Quickload key is F9.
Accessing the Console
The GZDoom console is also accessible, it can be reached by pressing the key to the left of the “1” key on the alphanumerical block. On english keyboards it’s the “~” key, on german keyboards it’s the “^” key.
Console commands you can use:
- god – enables Invincibility mode.
- noclip – enables No clipping mode, allows walking through walls.
- notarget – disables AI, enemies won’t wake up.
- fly – enables flying mode, fly by jumping.
- freeze – freezes time except for the player.
- summon [itemname] – summon items.
- items – gives a list of items still accessible in the level, the item name may be used with summon.
Example: “summon Healthupgrade” summons a Health Tank in front of you.
Examples for summonable items
Items & Weapons
- Embryo – Embryonic Battery.
- Healthupgrade – Health Tank (the player can have more than 999 health, it just won’t show).
- Homocritter1, Homocritter2, Homocritter3 – Different types of Homonculi. They all work the same, just look differently.
- Gauntletpickup – Bunker Gauntlet.
- bunkpickup – Bunkhammer.
- pistolpickup – Colt Pistol.
- Shottypickup – Trench Gun.
- Sawedoffpickup – Sawed-Off.
- machinegunpickup – Machine Gun.
- MortisBowpickup – Mortis Bow (secret weapon, has no pickup model).
- ANNIHILATOR – Eldritch Annihilator (secret weapon, has no pickup model).
- Blunderpickup – Blunderbuss (cut from game, can’t be chosen if Mortis Bow is also in inventory).
- Superheal – Health item dropped by Save Masons on activation, fills all cells at once.
Upgrades (getting these out of progression may break the game)
- Fetalsoul – Fetal Soul.
- Dashboots – Dash Boots.
- Doublejump – Double Jump.
- Homonculus – Light Homonculus.
- Crimsonbullet – Crimson Mod.
- Petrifybullet – Petrification Mod.
- Acidsuit – Acid Suit.
- Sinarmor – Sin Armor (cut from game, not sure what it does).
Quest items (getting these out of progression may break the game)
- Ore – Pristine Ore.
- Eveinfant – Infant Form of Eve.
- Skykeypickup – Airship Key.
The cheats known from other Doom engine games also work. These can easily be googled, examples are IDDQD for Invincibility mode, IDNOCLIP for No Clipping mode or IDDT to reveal the automap. Just enter these ingame (IDDT needs to be entered in the automap).
Be the first to comment