Before you play the Sid Meier’s Civilization: Revolution game, you will definitely want to know these simple but useful tips and tricks. If you have any tips feel free to share with us!
Things to Know Before Playing
- Crank out at least 3 warriors in your first city to explore and fight barbarians. You want to hit 100 gold as soon as possible for the free settler.
- On medium-and-higher difficulties, the first thing you should do when settling a new city is to build an army of whatever your current defensive unit is – archers, pikemen, riflemen, whatever. Then later use Leonardo’s workshop to upgrade them to the latest, and you’ll never have to worry about anyone ninja’ing a city of yours.
- Get the monarchy tech as soon as it’s feasible. Having knights (or your civ’s special equivalent) before anyone else will break the mid-game open in your favor.
- The following wonders are useless, don’t build them: Pyramids, Oracle, Manhattan Project
- The following wonders are awesome, always try to get them: Himeji Samurai Castle (+3 attack to any stack), Magna Carta, Hanging Gardens
- Always try to build walls in your frontier cities. They make defending an unexpected rush from a former ally immensely easier.
- When attacking cities, put your army stack on a hill whenever possibly for a 50% boost.
- Everyone will be at war with you pretty much constantly, you need to be prepared for that. Either build the great wall to buy some time, go on the offensive and keep the fighting away from your cities, or turtle up to the modern age, where the AI, even at the hardest difficulty, seems completely incapable of launching any kind of real assault against you.
- Armies are pretty much required to both attack and defend (3 units of the same time in the same tile).
- I find the Indians best for turtling/research, Germans best for conquest, and Egyptians are pretty good for anything else.