Before you play the Spelunky game, you will definitely want to know these simple but useful tips and tricks. If you have any tips feel free to share with us!
Things to Know Before Playing
- Try to always have something to throw, unless you’re carrying a weapon.
- It’s almost always worth it to use one bomb or rope to get a box. Beyond that, depends on how many you have.
- One bomb or rope is absolutely worth giving up if it saves you one health. (For example, using a rope to set off an arrow trap.)
- You can walk through spikes, or crawl-drop down onto them if you’re exactly one square above them. Falling down even a single square onto them will kill you in any other circumstances (Unless you’re using a cape.).
- Holding a rat or other little critter will absorb the damage from an arrow. So will a damsel, but you don’t want damsels to die other than as a sacrifice to Kali, and live sacrifices are worth more than dead ones.
- Throw pots, don’t whip them.
- It doesn’t matter if you’re at fault for whatever pissed a shopkeeper off, you’re getting blamed for it anyway. When shopkeepers are pissed off, they guard level exits. As you get deeper, it’s more and more likely that something will kill a shopkeeper by an exit before you get there, but always keep an eye out.
- If you enter a level and it says the dead are restless, look for the grave marked Ash. There’s a shotgun buried under it.
- Try to have a compass before the ice caves. Failing that, have enough ropes to go back up and over a bit so you don’t end up stuck with an exit you can’t get to.