Before you play the Startopia game, you will definitely want to know these simple but useful tips and tricks. If you have any tips feel free to share with us!
Things to Know Before Playing
- Employed aliens gain in Skill and Dedication over time, but its still better to hire high-skilled, highly-dedicated workers.
- Check your Resident (employed aliens) tab regularly. If one or more of the star ratings is blinking, it means that alien feels it deserves to be promoted. You can click on the blinking-star section to immediately promote that employee.
- If an alien is doing a job but it’s not employed by you, it’s not doing it out of the goodness of its heart: it’s a criminal. Most of the time, you can beam a Security Scuzzer outside of the room the criminal is working in, and it’ll path in.
- Save before you place a Palace Galactica, the largest hotel. The design /blueprint is symmetrical, but it’s difficult to know which side has the door until its built.
- Gem Slugs can get ‘stuck’ in their personal baths, completely freezing while the game continues to tick down its hunger/health/etc till they die. The developers didn’t fix this bug because they dug the idea of the Gem Slugs basically dying of their own laziness.
- Don’t clear-cut every single plant on the Biodeck unless you really need to. Each time you do it when a Karmarama is nearby, it’ll get a little bit more unhappy.
- If you right-click on the Disco, there a green-to-red bar on the top-right of the popup. This was supposed to let you control the volume of the disco’s music (some races would want it quieter, or louder), but don’t bother: it doesn’t influence anything, and gets reset when you load the game anyway.
- The Oroflex is such an ‘attractive’ way to increase alien’s Love and Fun stats that it will (generally) make other Love/Fun buildings into ghost towns.
- The game tells you that happy Gem Slugs produce Turdite, which is great for you because it gives you energy (money). They don’t bother to tell you that you get said energy by dumping Turdite into a recycler.
- Put your Dine-O-Mats on the Entertainment Deck instead of the lower deck. Memaus need to eat garbage to infect your aliens with Skrasher larvae, and don’t use the lifts between floors. Won’t 100% prevent Skrashers (someone infected can always come onboard through the Port), but still…
- If a building looks like its using a really oldschool (and not in a good, artistic way) texture, it’s just dirty, which a Skuzzer will do. I don’t think it does anything one way or another.