Before you play the Supreme Commander game, you will definitely want to know these simple but useful tips and tricks. If you have any tips feel free to share with us!
Things to Know Before Playing
- In single player, you can speed up the game by pressing the + button. This should help with your frustration at the units moving ludicrously slowly across the huge map.
- There are controls to make your units move in formation and at the same speed, which means they won’t stretch out in a long line of single file units and get killed off. Try right-click-holding when you tell units to move and left clicking to select a formation. Also try Ctrl-Rightclicking.
- If you’re playing the singleplayer, always save right before you complete the last of your current objectives. There might be a sudden increase in enemy kicking-your-ass right after. Several times I’ve discovered that forces totally adequate to the challenge I had been facing were no longer so.
- Later on, make sure you’ve fully upgraded as much as you can before completing an objective.
- Air kicks ass. Land can be used for near conflicts, and for the builders, but the end game will be contested mainly between air superiority fighters and bombers
- Shields are your friends.
- Artillery has longer range than base defense, base defense have longer range than normal things.
- Base defenses are actually really good in this game, allowing you to turtle well.
- Move up a tier when you safely can, they are exponentially better.
- Efficiency comes from nearby relevant objects. What this means is that an energy generator next to a factory means less energy costs from that factory, or storage next to a generator means larger output. typically I surround my mass extractors with 6 mass storage devices.
- The best way to have mass production is to have multiple engineering kennels near your factories, helping them along. It’s much faster than getting engineers to do it, and doesn’t get in the way as much.
- There is no tech 3 ground based anti-air, so good luck with that.
- If you make enough nukes, they can’t be taken down. More than one stalemate of mine has been won with multiple nukes.