Berdly is a minor character in Chapter 1 of Deltarune and the secondary antagonist of Chapter 2, as one of Kris’s classmates and early rivals. He is the self-proclaimed “Number 1” student in school and Noelle’s study partner.
Guide to Berdly
Berdly resembles a large bluebird, with bright blue feathers and a yellow beak, and he wears framed glasses and a button-up shirt.
In the Dark World, he wears white-and-orange futuristic armor, and an eyepiece. In battle, Berdly uses a green laser halberd, with a yellow axe blade and yellow eyes embedded into the axe head.
Berdly is sarcastic and arrogant, showing a great self-esteem and considering himself the smartest student of his class. He is shown to be very disdainful his fellow classmates (especially Susie), but seems to have a respect for Noelle, whom he consider the second smartest student. This respect however is very condescending. Upon entering the Dark World, Berdly’s megalomania turns out to be even more serious than previously realized, as he plans to create a Fountain so he can build a world where he is idolized, with Noelle as his second.
Berdly is also very unaware of how others perceive him. For instance, he is oblivious to Noelle’s contempt and thinks she is in love with him and doesn’t understand that Queen views him as a minion, instead thinking of her as a mere ally.
Despite his saying, he is shown to not be so clever as he is, as demonstrated by his inability to solve puzzles. He eventually confesses that he never really thought he was as intelligent as he claimed, and he was only able to get good grades because Noelle helped him with his homework. After Susie reassures him that he doesn’t need to be smart, Berdly decides he wants to be an idiot instead, much to her annoyance.
After school, Berdly works as a volunteer assistant at the Librarby. If spoken to there, he congratulates Kris on surviving Susie, sarcastically offering a discount on their “family debt” of 2583 days of overdue fines for How to Draw Dragons. If addressed after Kris visits the Hospital, Kris apparently requests him to go by the hospital window, presumably so that Noelle’s dad can throw something at him. Berdly declines the offer.
At some point between class and Kris leaving the school’s Dark World, Berdly entered the Librarby’s dark world. He later joined Queen against her will.
At the end of the Cyber Field, Kris, Ralsei, and Susie fight Berdly in bumper cars, resulting in Berdly’s coaster exploding and him falling of the rails.
Later in Cyber City, the Queen hides from Berdly above Noelle, and he makes a truce with Kris until they find their respective teams. Later in the city, he finds Kris again in the Annoying Mouse Puzzle Room 3 while Noelle is on the platform of the puzzle. He continues to talk to Kris, completely oblivious to the fact that Noelle is right next to him. Just two rooms afterwards, he spots Kris and Noelle together, and immediately jumps to the conclusion that Kris has taken Noelle captive and proceeds to battle them.
Right before the Lightners enter the Mansion, Queen stops them and tries to take Noelle captive, threatening to give Berdly “A Ride In The Acid River” if she refuses. After Kris escapes their room, Berdly appears and decides to join their team; however, he does not help at all. In the dark lamp puzzles, he attempts to solve the puzzles but is repeatedly upset when Kris continues to find the answer first. After the third room, he tells Kris, Susie, and Lancer his backstory, of how he was always forgotten, until the last question of the spelling bee, where he won because Noelle couldn’t speak, and from then on he pretended to be the smart guy to get more attention, and that he only got good grades because Noelle helped him do his homework. They forgive him and tell him it’s okay to make mistakes, which he misinterprets as meaning he should be dumb more. Regardless, he changes for the better in the latter part of the story.
If the player has started the Weird Route during Chapter 2, Berdly’s encounter with Kris and Noelle after Annoying Mouse Puzzle Room 3 goes much differently. After noticing that Noelle is acting unusual and expressing genuine concern for how Kris is treating her, Berdly attacks Kris. The player convinces Noelle to use the (fatal) SnowGrave spell on Berdly, which immediately encases him in a large prism of ice. He does not appear for the remainder of the adventure in the Dark World.
After the dark fountain is sealed and the computer lab is returned to normal, Kris, Susie, Noelle, and Berdly appear at one of the tables, but Berdly appears to be unconscious. Noelle assumes that he fell asleep during their studying and leaves him behind. Interacting with Berdly displays the text “(He doesn’t seem to be awake.)” When Kris leaves the computer lab, Berdly does not appear with them, and he cannot be found anywhere else in town that day. His condition and fate at the end of this route are currently unknown, however the labeled fatality of SnowGrave has dark implications when carried into the Overworld.
Though this also occurs during other routes, when examining the computer lab closet, it is stated that it is full of old electronics and with enough room to fit a person. When you leave the room, it is stated that you gathered up your things. When you try to re-enter, it is stated that there is no reason to re-enter and blocks you off.
Choosing to spare him during his second battle then fight Queen when he is controlled by her causes him to try to pull the plug off his face following the battle. This results in him being electrocuted and his right arm being injured, both in the Dark World and in the Overworld, where he states he cannot move it at all.
- Tornado 1: Berdly summons a wall of four tornadoes that fly to the left one by one. This attack goes unused in the Weird Route.
- Tornado 2: Berdly summons four tornadoes that fly towards the center. This attack goes unused in the first encounter.
- Chirashi: Berdly shoots papers with “A+” written on them. In the weird route, Berdly shoots more papers per wave, with reduced time between waves.
- Spear Blast: Berdly shoots a trail of projectiles in a curvy line, telegraphed by a thin red line. The trail stays for a moment, before releasing small projectiles that point in the direction they will fly. In the weird route, the number of projectiles are doubled and this attack is also quicker than usual.
To win the first battle by ACTing, one needs to bump into Berdly’s car. Each individual bump gives +6% Mercy. BumpX gives 18% Mercy.
To stop the second battle, the player can continuously use ACT by playing dumb, acting smart with Noelle, or have Noelle to talk to Berdly in order for him to give mercy. Once the mercy bar is full, the battle automatically ends.
In the battle with Queen, the player can continuously try to pull off the plug on his face while the Queen is defenseless.
- Kris, I get why you’re getting in my way! You’re jealous, aren’t you!?
- Kris, you’re tired of being the class No.3, gazing distantly at Noelle and I’s fruited figures…
- So rather than ever studying, you’d enlist Susie to take us down!
- Kris… you are truly depraved. Playing in the mud with the class hellion.
- But Kris, I am a kind and brave hero! If you come to our side… You may be a slightly less distant No. 3! Haha… slightly.
- What? My car is breaking!? Fools! This is Smart Smoke! It means my car is getting stronger! Ha! Go ahead, “bump” me, bumpbarians! I’ll show you “bumper cars” is a game of intellect, not skill!
- Partake, Kris! The zephyr of punishment! [Tornado attack]
- Look, Susie! The closest you’ll ever get to an “A”! [Paper attack]
- Holy Halbird! Grant me strength! [Spear attack]
- W-what…? My coaster, it’s…!
- Wh… what!? That’s not fair!!!
- M… My Queen… Save me…!!!
- Kris! I get it! Your head’s gotten big from solving that puzzle by Dumb Luck!
- So now you think it’s your chance to usurp me at my weakest… By taking my most precious thing… Noelle!
- But guess what, Kris! I have one or more things you will never have! Behold!!! Comrades!!!
- That’s right, Kris! Unlike You, I have a loving team behind me! And you’ll never beat US fighting alone! … h-hey, wait, where’d the other guys go!? [Werewires defeated]
- My… my allies are gone? Ha! They’re probably just… Helping Queen search for me! Sh… shut up, Kris! Shut up! I don’t care if you’re not saying anything! [Werewires defeated]
- S-summon more guys!? I… I don’t need to do that! Just wait! The original ones are gonna come back any minute now! [Werewires defeated]
- Don’t worry, it’s part of my calculations! [Berdly attacking Noelle]
- Partake, Kris! The zephyr of punishment! [Tornado attack]
- See if you can dodge this, Kris! [Paper attack]
- Holy Halbird! Grant me strength! [Red line attack]
- Berdly: D-damn it!
- Noelle: Berdly, are you okay…? Kris, maybe we should have gone easier on him…
- Berdly: Go easier!? Ha! Haha! Hahaha! The only one going easy mode, was me!
- Noelle: You look… Exhausted.
- Berdly: I’m only tired of holding back my true power! Ah, Noelle. It’d be too simple to save you now. Kris! Go ahead and train your strength values. Try hard, and maybe someday you’ll be a worthy rival. Heh! Sometimes I can’t believe how cool I am…
- Noelle: (He hit me in the face with a tornado…) [If Noelle is not at full HP]
- Noelle: (If he would just listen to me…) [If Noelle is at full HP]
- Berdly rides in! [Encounter]
- Go! Use your roller coaster cars to play “bump of chicken”! [Check]
- Berdly gives the secret sign! But Queen is busy with a coloring book! [Neutral]
- Berdly calls Queen for help! But Queen is pretending to be on the phone! [Neutral]
- Berdly asks Queen what snacks they have at home! Queen nods! She has earbuds in! [Neutral]
- Berdly summons Queen! Queen calls in sick! [Neutral]
- Berdly shows Queen his card collection! Queen escaped successfully. [Neutral]
- Berdly asks Queen for healing! She says “You’re Doing Great Honey” [Low HP]
- Berdly’s coaster car thing looks sick. [More than 75% Mercy]
- Berdly blocks the way! [Encounter]
- He usually only gets this mad when you play games together. [Check]
- Berdly laughs and goes to his mind palace. [Neutral]
- Smells like frozen chicken. [Neutral]
- Berdly crushes his Smart Scouter out of frustration. [Neutral]
- Berdly tries to entice Noelle to his side by gyrating his hips! [Neutral]
- Berdly preens condescendingly. [Neutral]
- Berdly thanks Noelle profusely. [Neutral]
- Enemy Weakness: ICE. Try your strongest ice spell. [Check]
- You glared at Berdly! [Glare]
- [Berdly] Wh… what!? Trying to psyche me out, Kris!?
- [Berdly] W-well… It’s not working!!
- Berdly’s defense dropped!
- You told Noelle to concentrate! [Wake]
- [Noelle] Concentrate on what…?
- Her magic increased!
- But it failed. [N-Action]
- [Noelle] S… Snowgrave?
- [Noelle] I… I don’t know that spell.
- [Noelle] I’m telling you, I… I…
- [Noelle] I don’t know what you’re talking about.
- [Noelle] I’m telling you, stop!
- [Noelle] I… I don’t know what you’re talking about!
- [Noelle] …
- [Noelle] Fine. You want to see what happens so bad?
- [Noelle] Watch what happens when I cast a spell I don’t know!
- Noelle cast Snowgrave! [Snowgrave, successful]
- [Noelle] …
- [Noelle] What…
- [Noelle] What happened?
- [Noelle] There was so much snow, I couldn’t see anything…
- [Noelle] I…
- [Noelle] I don’t feel so good.
- [Noelle] I think
- [Noelle] I’m going to go home.
Noelle is Berdly’s school partner and the only student he isn’t snobbing. Though he is still condescending and call her the second smartest student, showing that he still views himself as superior. He rarely takes her actual feelings in to consideration, like when Noelle asks if Kris can join their project in a group of three, Berdly immediately objects, firmly stating that Kris would only weigh them down.
During their time in the Dark World, Berdly tries without success to rebuild a perfect world with the help of Queen, but Noelle doesn’t play along, leading to a fight between them.
After joining the heroes, he eventually reveals that Noelle is actually the one doing all the smart work for him and that deep down he views her as better than him. On the side of Noelle, she, out of meekiness tends to stay nice to Berdly and keeps helping him even if she despise him, the latter is completely oblivious to this and instead assumes that she is helping because she has a crush on him. Berdly doesn’t return this perceived crush and instead chases Susie.
When telling Noelle about his crush on Susie, Berdly gets choked by her, but this small rivalry doesn’t last long and after exiting the Dark World, the two thinking they had a dream, gets in better terms.
Berdly shows at first a low opinion of Susie, for being a low-scoring student. Unlike the others students, he doesn’t seems too afraid of her. This becomes especially true in the Dark World where he start antagonize them using the new powers he got. When realizing that Queen is no longer on his side and traps him along with Kris and Susie, he finally decides to side with them so he can free Noelle.
During this time spend together, it is shown that Berdly is trying his best to impress Susie (whom he calls Susan), wanting to show how cool he is. But his inabiltiy to solve puzzles while simultaneously pretending to be smarter gets on her nerves and Berldy eventually tells the truth about him and Noelle, explaining that he knew he wasn’t as smart as he make it out to be. Susie tells him that she could not care less about his reputation and that it is okay to be an idiot sometimes. Berdly misinterprets this and start proudly proclaming himself an idiot, much to Susie annoyance.
He also starts looking up to Susie as a role model and even develops a crush on her after learning she plays video games.
It is suggested in one of the encounters that Berdly has no nipples, and that he wants them. The encounter goes like this:
- Queen: “I Did Not Know You Had… Nipples”
- Berdly: “Haha… I will soon… in our ideal world.”
- Berdly’s Dark World outfit is referential to Falco Lombardi, a character from the Star Fox franchise. However, the outfit is more visually similar to outfits worn by Fox McCloud, including the HUD eyepiece similar to the one Fox has worn in the Super Smash Bros. series since Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
- Berdly appears to be a fan of a Super Smash Brothers like series of fighting games as he references wavedashing when calling Kris a cheater after completing a puzzle. In the Weird Route, after Noelle mentions she fell asleep in the library, her father remarks it must have been Berdly boring her with his theory on the “inequality of children’s fighter games”.
- Berdly’s condescending personality is also reminiscent of how Revali, the Rito prodigy of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, treats Link.
- Berdly’s neon-green energy halberd may be a reference to Frank Enea’s appearance in Teen Titans Go, where in the alternate world created by the song The Night Begins to Shine, he turns into a turquoise falcon and wields a green energy ax guitar.
- However, it may also be a play on words, as halberd has “berd” in the latter half of its name.
- If Berdly was not freed from the wire during Queen’s battle, he will free himself at the cost of electrocuting his right arm. He will now be resting his head on his left instead of his right upon waking up, and will find he cannot move it, prompting Noelle to say it probably “fell asleep”. She then offers to carry his books for him.
- The flavour text in the second encounter against Berdly mentions that he crushes his Smart Scouter, this is likely referencing the famous “It’s Over 9000!” scene from Dragonball Z, where the character Vegeta crushes his Scouter in similar frustration.