Before you play the Tropico 5 game, you will definitely want to know these simple but useful tips and tricks. If you have any tips feel free to share with us!
Things to Know Before Playing
- In general you want 3 of each raw material production per factory you refine it all in. So if you want a textile mill, ideally you feed it with 3 cotton farms and 3 llama ranches for best efficiency. Same deal with Canneries, etc. Ranches need open space around them for grazing land and if properly spread out can be really great.
- Parking garages and churches are no longer king shit like they were in Tropico 4, but teamsters can become a major limitation quickly. Try to have a teamsters office per production building/dock.
- My biggest struggle in 5 is managing to keep enough educated people around to do factory jobs without getting drowned in the uneducated folks who can only work on farms or as teamsters. I highly highly highly recommend keeping your military based around Conscription (recruits do not require high school educations) and your Immigration policy set to Visa Program (nominally biases immigration towards more highly educated workers but mostly seems to get you more grade school educated folks instead of high school/college grads, still they’re better than outright illiterates.)
- Use the almanac to keep track of your people’s needs. There’s a happiness tab that’ll show you instant polling on how everyone feels about every aspect of your island, and there’s a people tab that makes it easy to track how many are homeless or unemployed.
- Even if you weren’t planning on going heavy into tourism for its own sake, it’s important to build up a tourist economy infrastructure if only to provide jobs for illiterates. Hotel maids and pool cabana boys don’t need high school diplomas and by the time tourism is an option, most other good jobs will.