In this guide I will go over the games controls, mechanics, and offer tips for getting all of the achievements.
Interface and Controls
In the top left from left to right.
- Money counter
- Island level
- Design multiplier
In the middle right
- Harvest - The player only needs to drag the mouse over the selected item to harvest from it.
- Drag item - If an item is misplaced or the player wishes to move it for any reason click this icon.
- Delete/Demolish - If an item is no longer needed or trees/rocks are in the players way this is the tool to use.
In the bottom center is the edit/place menu. This menu is minimized down the blue icon when not in use. From left to right.
- Animal Pens
In the bottom right is the menu which contains options for changing the resolution, disabling music or sound, changing the language, changing the mouse from right to left handed, loading or saving the island, restarting the island, or returning the main menu.
- Zoom in E/Mouse wheel up
- Zoom out Q/Mouse wheel down
- Pan the Camera W,A,S,D/Middle mouse click and drag.
- Center camera on house is Space bar
- Place items/interact with menus is left click
- Back out of menus is right click.
The game mechanics of The Islander are overall simple.
Plant crops or build animal pens for income. Harvest crops or animal pens manually or with the automated help of cocobots. Harvest enough to level up the island. Leveling up is based off of gold gathered rather then what is harvested.
Use the harvester icon to harvest plants manually at level one or from level two onward build an army of cocobots for faster harvesting while planting. There does not seem to be any drawbacks from using cocobots instead of harvesting manually.
Each level unlocks a new crop to plant. Each new crop or item placed will increase in price exponentially like most clicker games. Wheat starts at 4 coins but after placing several of them it will start to get into the thousands.
Increase the design multiplier to sell items at increased prices thus leveling faster Each design item adds 1 point to the design experience bar for each square it takes up. All items put out the same amount of experience as others so spam away but keep the price in mind. It might look ugly but its better to mix roads and fences then to keep using the same type over and over. The max design multiplier is 10.
The achievement are easy to get and can all be completed in a short three hours.
Achievements are divided into three categories.
- Normal Island
- Random Island
- Doesn't Matter
Normal Island Achievments
- Expansion - Buy a total of 100 island expansions
Start a normal island, harvest like normal. The available option is avalible on the tools tab next to the cocobots and can be bought at any level. If the grid is lined up to the closest portion of the island owned as possible, this will require buying half of the map.
Random Island Achievements
- Miner - Break a total of 250 rocks
- Lumberjack - Cut down 250 trees
These can both be accomplished at the same time. Use the demolish tool on rocks and trees to remove them. This can be done right at the start. Trees and rocks currently serve no purpose other than to block the players progression on a random island where as buying new land on a normal island halts progression. Big trees and rocks take 3-4 clicks to remove, small ones are one click. It is not possible to click and drag to get rid of small rocks.
- Small Business - Have at least 1000 Gold
- Corporation - Have at least 100K Gold
- Conglomerate - Have at least 1M Gold
The best way to complete these is to ensure the design multiplier is maxed out.
- Novice - Reach Level 5 in a Single Run
- Intermediate - Reach Level 10 in a Single Run
- Expert - Reach Level 20 in a Single Run
As explained earlier, leveling is based off of coins earned. Again, keep the design multiplier maxed for fastest results.
- Peasant - Plant a total of 25 Crops
- Grower - Plant a total of 100 Crops
- Agriculturalist - Plant a total of 250 Crops
- Garden - Plant a total of 25 Bushes
- Park - Plant a total of 100 Bushes
- Heath - Plant a total of 250 Bushes
- Woodland - Plant a total of 25 Trees
- Forest - Plant a total of 100 Trees
- Jungle - Plant a total of 250 Trees
- Animal House - Buy a total of 25 Animals
- Farm - Buy a total of 100 Animals
- Ranch - Buy a total of 250 Animals
- Decorator - Build a total of 100 Decorations
- Designer - Build a total of 250 Decorations
- Architect - Build a total of 750 Decorations
Essentially, these are all the same achievement but under different categories. They are all easy to complete. Build/plant enough to get to level 20 to have a constant supply of gold. Max the design multiplier. Set aside a section of the island where crops/pens can be placed and removed without worrying about them. Remove all of the basic plants/pens to lower their cost. Place 15-25 at a time depending on space and income. After the cocobots harvest one round of them, remove and replant. It’s possible to it faster without the one round of harvesting but this ensures the games internal counter gets it all.
- Bird Watcher - Catch a total of 100 Parrots
- Marine Biologist - Catch a total of 100 Starfish
- Fisherman - Catch a total of 100 Fish
These three achievements are the most boring as they require the player to be active. There is a trick however. The game indicates when each new parrot, starfish, or fish spawns by playing a sound and each appears in a set way. The best way to get them is to zoom out to max and play on the highest resolution.
The parrot screeches onto the screen and flies horizontally. It can spawn outside of the light blue ocean area but it can be clicked on in the dark blue area.
The starfish makes a bubbling sound and only appears on the dark sandy shore area. It will not move up and down the shore but it will pulsate after a while before it disappears.
The fish is worst one to deal with. It makes a splash sound when it spawns and can spawn in any part of the ocean, light blue or dark blue. it jumps in an arc. If missed on its first appearance the player must wait to see where it jumps out again to click it. It makes 4-6 arcs before it disappears for good.
- Robo-Island - Buy a total of 200 Cocobots
I recommend getting this one in two or three games. As with everything the price increases exponentially. At 91 cocobots the next one will cost 58.4k.At 114 cocobots a new one will cost 523k