Please note: All credit goes to Elkator!
Tips and tricks to make signal finding easy without live tracking. These should help people who still have troubles after reading the basic tutorial.
Tips and Tricks
Whit a new update signals are not tracked live making finding them a lot harder, here are tips and tricks to find signals easier as soon as possible. This is for people who already have the basics down.
- Tip #1: When starting you do not want to turn towards a signal that is more than 120 degrees away from your current azimuth+elevation. By the time the dishes turn there you will not have enough time to download the signal. With upgrades the 120 changes to a higher number, but at default 120 is way too much.
- Tip #2: The three most important upgrades are azimuth speed, coordinate detection and buffer. The azimuth has a very wide range and therefore requires upgrading to get to the signal faster. Coordinate detection and buffers reduce the range you need to search in. The antena detection isn’t as vital because of tip 3.
- Tip #3: When you are looking at coordinates the average is always the best number, watch it for a bit and go about 5 degrees from the highest or lowest average number and start going up or down 1 degree at a time. Even the default detection range picks up some percentage whithin 1 degree.
- Tip #4: There is an exception to tip 3. When the azimuth or elevation are close to their minimum or maximum the average will be thrown off. For example with an azimuth minimum of 0.11 and 20.11 the average will be around 11.11 even though the signal is around 1 or 2. That’s because coordinates don’t wrap around for azimuth (and can’t for elevation), so it will go as low (or as high) as it can but keeping the coordinate range. So if you can’t find any signal in an average go towards the border number.
- Tip #5: Your system efficiency is important. When you are not actively using a system, turn it off, conserve as much power as possible. When your signal strength is not in download range have the antenas turned off (you don’t need them on to find the signal only to start downloading), when you are done detecting coordinates turn it off. Wasting electricity weakens turn speed and download speed.