This guide describes how to play multiplayer, with the newly released RT3Multiplayer Client!
What Do You Need?
As some of you might know, the GameSpy master servers are offline, which in turn disabled the online multiplayer features of this game.
Luckily the solution is finally here!
In order to play online, you first need to download the RT3Multiplayer client at:
This client will locate the game for you and create a modded exe file, that is optimized for multiplayer. Make sure that the people you want to play with install the client as well, so you can join each other’s games.
- Run the installer and proceed installing the program.
- When finished the program should start (this will prompt for admin rights, which is needed in order to write the modified exe to your RT3 folder; don’t worry it will use it’s own EXE file, so none of your mods/patches/edits will be overwritten in the process).
- If you want to host, make sure you have your UDP port 9000 opened in your router/modem settings (Instructions how to: Opening Ports Guide.
- It has been designed to work both on LAN and on online mode, just make sure you have your Railroad Tycoon 3 installed anywhere in C:/Program Files (x86), note: Steam and GOG work as well).
- You need DirectPlay in order to play online, usually Windows should ask if you want to install this as soon as you start a game.
- Also make sure to press ‘Allow’ if you get a firewall prompt from Windows!
People can’t join my game?
Make sure UDP port 9000 is open (forwarded)!
How can I change my name?
Open the client and send the command: /reset in the chatbox.
Game does not start?
Check if the client found the right gamefolder by sending the command: /game in the chatbox.
How to chat in-game?
With spacebar, sometimes it buggs, just pres esc or spacebar again!
Please join the discord at Discord Server and we’ll try to help!