Other FF VIII Guides:
- Achievement Guide (Disc Two).
- Achievement Guide (Disc Three & Four).
- Getting The 10000 Kills Achievement Legitimately.
- How to Get Squall’s Ultimate Weapon (Lionheart) on Disc #1.
- Use Your Old Save Slot on The Remaster Version.
- Missable Items and Events List.
- Widescreen (Black Bars) Fix.
A lot of achievements from the original Steam release were removed from this version. This includes “Contrived Finish – Finish the game with Squall’s initial level”, “10000 kills – Kill 10000 enemies” and “Collector – Collect all cards”, among many others.
This guide is only limited to the achievements for this version.
All achievements are listed in chronological order and divided in discs to match the original Playstation release.
Achievements you want to start working on from the beginning:
- Draw magic 100 times from draw points
Simply keep drawing all the draw points you see through the game. Some are hidden and will require special skills to see them.
- Draw (Stock) magic from enemies 100 times
Just like the previous one, but this takes place in battles. Make sure to draw to “Stock” for it to count.
- Kill 100 enemies
- Kill 1000 enemies
Both should come naturally towards the end. If you’re still missing kills by the end of the game, head to the forest next to Dollet and keep killing enemies in that area. They’re weak enough and always show up in groups of three.
Game boosters hotkeys are the following:
- F1: Battle assist options (HP, ATB gauge, and Limit Break boosts)
- F2: No random encounters
- F3: Game speed boost (x3)
We highly recommend not touching these, unless you already played this game before and only want the achievements the easy way, or if you want to reduce your grind time.
Also, activating “Cheats” such as ‘Obtain all items, abilities, max G.F. levels, max currency, max spells, etc, will disable achievements permanently for that playthrough.
Quezacotl and Shiva GFs (Desk) – Not Missable, forced later when you talk to Quistis at the front gate.
- After the opening cutscene, you’ll end up with Quistis walking to class. After the brief meeting in class, you’ll be tasked with talking to Quistis. Instead, interact with the desk that you were already sitting at to bring up a menu. Select ‘Turn on the power and…’ and then when the main page loads, select ‘Tutorials’ and you’ll automatically receive both, Quezacotl and Shiva.
- Unlock Guardian Force Quezacotl
- Unlock Guardian Force Shiva
- Battle Reward for beating Ifrit
- Unlock Guardian Force Ifrit
Once you’re back at Balamb Garden, head to your room to get changed and progress with the story.
Make sure to junction ‘Draw’ to someone before fighting the boss.
Elvoret Boss draw: Siren GF
- Battle begins with just Biggs, then Wedge joins after a period of time. After you deal enough damage to Biggs and Wedge, Elvoret will blow them away. Immediately draw Siren from Elvoret. The ??? is Double.
- Unlock Guardian Force Siren
Timber Maniacs – Hotel or Train Station (doesn’t matter which one you grab).
- After the SeeD exam in Dollet, you’ll ride the Vessel back to Balamb. Go south and you’ll be at the spiral with a hotel in the middle. Enter it and take the stairs to the left to enter the bedroom. Examine the desk to the right of the save point.
- After graduation, talk to Cid to receive the Battle Meter. This is not related to any achievement but still good to have.
- Get your first salary from SeeD
This will come naturally after the training center incident and while walking back to your bedroom.
Magical Lamp (Given by Cid – starts diabolos GF fight)
- Your first SeeD mission is given by Cid just south of the directory, south two screens. Talk to him again to receive this item.
Use it from inventory (save beforehand) and defeat Diablos to unlock the GF.
- Unlock Guardian Force Diablos
Note: You can do this at any point of the game, as long as you have the Magical Lamp in your inventory.
Timber Maniacs (Newsroom)
- Backroom of Timber Maniacs building
Timber – After the event at the broadcast tower
Timber Maniacs (Hotel – stay a night)
- Note: Don’t worry if you didn’t visit it before taking the train, this location can be revisited shortly after.
Location: Follow the train passed East Academy, then follow the road to the cliffside coast.
Timber Maniacs – Guest Room (Inn – Stay a night)
Timber Maniacs (Pub, second floor)
The Tomb of the Unknown King
Location: Northeast of Deling City
Brothers GF (automatically granted after completing this dungeon)
- You need to essentially visit each cardinal direction of the map except for South as that is the exit. On the eastern end, you fight a pre-battle with Sacred. On the northern end, you can flood the dungeon by letting water through. There’s a draw point here. On the western end, you mess with the gears on the left to presumably lower the draw bridge.
- Once you’ve done all three parts, exit through the south, then enter again and head straight to the middle for the boss fight.
- HINT: To go from south to east to north to west to south again, simply take the right route every single time it’s a 4 way crossroad.
- Unlock Guardian Force Brothers
Timber Maniacs (Hotel – stay a night)
Carbuncle GF (Draw it from Iguion Boss)
Unlock Guardian Force Carbuncle
Recommended for You
- Final Fantasy VIII – Remastered – Achievement Guide (Disc Two)
- Final Fantasy VIII – Remastered – Achievement Guide (Disc Three & Four)
- Final Fantasy VIII Remastered – Missable Items and Events List
- Final Fantasy VIII Remastered – How to Get Squall’s Ultimate Weapon (Lionheart) on Disc #1
- Final Fantasy VIII – Tips and Tricks for Getting Started