Prey - Tips and Tricks That Will Surely Help You
Updated: May 13, 2017
This guide is a collection of useful tips and tricks that will surely help you to make your permanence on the Talos I Station less painful and more liveable. If you are starting out the first time or maybe a new playthrough, you will always find something useful here.
Other Prey Guides:
Section 1: About Weapons and Combat
- The Shotgun is the weapon with the most efficent damage to ammo consumed ratio. This means it gives you the best damage output per shot fired.
- An enemy stunned by the Electrical Stun Gun will stay stunned even if attacked by weapons or powers, for all the duration of the Stun as stated in the Stun Gun statistics.
- The Shotgun's damage is not calculated per-pellet but is instead Area Of Effect, this means that if you do not hit an enemy with the entire pellets salvo, it will still deliver the full weapon damage.
- All the projectile based weapons have a damage reduction based on the distance the projectile has traveled, this means, generally, that farther the enemy is, less damage you will deliver. It is a very good idea to get close and personal.
- The Pistol is the weapon with the highest DPS in the game, as its shots can be fired as fast as you can pull the trigger, resulting in entire 20-30 shots (with upgrades obv.) magazines going out in seconds and a lot of critical hit chances. It is the closest thing to a machinegun you will get.
- The best weapon against any mechanical opponent is the Stun Gun, as it will deliver very high damage to electronics and also disable the enemy temporarily.
- Disabling an enemy's Psychic Powers with Mindshock is always a very good idea before getting closer to hit it with weapons.
- Turrets are viable only against the weakest enemies, against all the other enemies they are pretty useless, generally do not waste your resources and time to repair and position them. Working ones may be good as decoys.
- Against multiple dangerous opponents, use Combat Focus to slow down time after casting eventual other Powers, and get a significant advantage in an otherwise very disvantaging fight. Also, psi power-suppression grenades are useful against groups.
- Do not underestimate your Wrench, it has a chance of knocking any non-huge enemy off their feet with each hit, rendering them helpless for some seconds, plus it does not require ammo.
- The Recylcer Charges can be used offensively like proper grenades, if enemies are hit very close to the center of a Recycler Explosion, it will deliver massive amounts of damage, probably instantly killing them.
- Starting a fight with a Stealth Critical Hit is a good way to get an advantage from the first moment, always try to land one if possible. Invest a minimum in Stealth related skills.
- Explosive Containers deliver great damage an will explode when thrown towards an enemy. They are a cheap and decent way to deal with enemies without wasting ammo.
- Almost anything not bolted can be thrown, if you have at least one level in lifting-related abilities (Leverage), throwing heavy objects to weaker enemies is effective to kill them without using ammo, or use less in any case. Bigger object equals bigger damage.
- Enemies will not be able to harm you if you lock yourself inside a Security Post, as it has Shields on all windows and cannot be entered if manually locked. Good for recovering.
- Invest in Gunsmith skill, and upgrade your weapons at any occasion. If you have good amounts of resources, craft Upgrade Kits and use them as often as you can. Upgraded weapons make a big difference.
- Ammassing Explosive Canisters and then using a Lure Grenade on the stack will get any enemy in a considerable radius to get there, ready to be blown to kingdom come with a single shot.
- You will encounter a very big enemy at a certain point, it will trigger a certain recurring event. Do not fight against him, if you escape for enough time by getting to a safe place, it will go away. Killing it is possible but is a massive waste of ammo for what you will get.
- Use your wrench to deal with weaker enemies.
- Throw objects of any size to trigger Cystoid Nests (kamikaze Typhons) and make them explode harmlessly against the object, as they will chase it and explode near it. This may require multiple attempts but always works.
- Whenever possible use the environment to save ammo. Shooting gas conduits will get flames out of the bullet hole, shooting oil or black goo on the ground will set it ablaze, shooting eletrical junctions will cause lightnings to strike anything close to them. All these things will generally cause good damage to most enemies.
Section 2: About Skills and Powers
- Mindshock is a cornerstone skill recommended for any build whatsoever. Keep it at level 1 if you like, the 10 seconds power disable inflicted to any enemy is a massive advantage and will allow you to kill powerful enemies with much less effort.
- For any build, get all the level 1 (1 or 2 Neuro cost) Human skills, they will be a good base for developing your build, not to mention useful. Not that in the game you can craft Neuromods with resources, and also find plenty. You will eventually be able to get 75% of all the skills in one playthrough.
- Combat Focus is another cornerstone ability for any build, get it when possbile, keep it level 1 if you like, it will be enough.
- Always equip modules that reduce Psi Cost, they will make a big difference in the long run.
- A melee build based on Throwing and Wrench is viable, it will allow you to save much materials because you won't need much ammo and upgrade kits, so probably get more Neuromods. This is a build i however do not recommend at first play-through as it can be difficult in certain situations.
- Invest in the abilities that upgrade your Health and Psi pools maximum capacity. Suggest minimum of 200 Health and 150 Psi on any build.
- Invest in the ability that doubles Food Healing, there is a LOT of food around Talos I and that will save you immense quantities of medkits.
- Keep always a ceratin Module that will allow you to detect Mimics when they are transformed in objects, it will prove invaluable.
- Get at least Level 1 Repair and Level 2 Hacking on any build, it will allow you to open a great deal of doors and containers, and access many areas.
- Always get Level 1 Transformation skill, it will be invaluable to access many areas otherwise impossible to get into.
Section 3: About Resources and Items
- Amassing huge amounts of items in a corner then throwing a Recycler Charge at it, will NOT result in a big pile of resources as you expect, as most objects like tables, chairs, lamps and so on will yield a very SMALL amount of resources even if a great quantity is recycled.
- The best things you can throw a Recycler Charge at are: Mechanical Enemies, they will yield good amounts of Metallic Materials which is always needed and the hardest to get. Turrets, same as mech. enemies, will yield good amounts of resources. Normal Enemies, do it only if you must, but decent.
- Always try to find Operator Terminals around the map, activate them, spawn Operators, they will each help you for free and for unlimited times when talked to. Medical will restore all Health, Engineering restore all Armor, Scientific restore all Psi. Also, Tag the operators once you are able to do so with a certain device, so you will know where they are, as they will roam the map.
- You can always download a Area Map at the Security Station near you. It will reveal the whole map, but not explore it.
- You can track the position of any member of Talos I Station from any Security Station. Only one at a time can be tracked. Useful for certain missions.
- Always be stocked with Bullets if your build is not Melee, if you are low on em, they have priority above anything else at the crafting station, because if you get stuck with no bullets and no materials to make them, you will be in serious, deep trouble.
- Never craft Grenades of any type, you will find tons around, and you will not use them as much.
- Never craft Medkits and Psi-Hypos, do so only in extreme cases, you will generally find more than enough around aswell.
- Never, ever craft Turrets, as said before, they are useless except in very early game when your weapons and skills are minimal.
- 90% of all doors and safes with Hacking Security of 3 and above have a code or an alternative way in around somewhere, you just have to find it. Always check every computer, cabined, crate, drawer, sticky note, clipboard lying around. Listen to ALL the audio logs and read all the stuff you find, the codes might be there.
- Always repair, if possible, any crafting machinery you find broken, having many lying around is good.
- To get extra resources, summon all the Operators from a terminal, kill them then throw a grenade at the carcasses, it will result in good amount of Synthetic and Metallic materials. Keep one inside the terminal if you need it later for services.
Section 4: Other Various Tips
- In a certain quest you will have to recover a certain person from a vegetable farm. Do NOT use any skill or device on this person because for reason unknown, probably a bug, it will become hostile and break the quest. Just kill all enemy Typhons in the area, and only them. It will work.
- The Gloo Gun is your solution to reach any place, look around and you will 99% of the time find a way with Gloo. If there isn't try Transformation.
- If there is a door blocked by a heavy object of Leverage II or III, no problem, pick up a Leverage I item and throw it against that, it will mostly move it a little bit each time, with many throws it will move away. If the item passes through the heavy one like air (sometimes this bug happens), go near the item you want to move with the Leverage 1 object in your hands and DROP it inside the big object, this will cause the heavy object to move slightly, repeat many times to move it away. If you want use Recycle Charge to eliminate heavy objects, but it's mostly a waste.
- Recycle food if you desperately need Organic Material. Ammassing human bodies works too with Recycle Charge.
- You can plug holes and leaks with Gloo Gun, also extinguish fire on the ground and stop electricity from machines with it.
- Always take out the ammo from any gun you find before recycling or dismantling it for parts. Most guns have ammo in them.
Section 5: About Enemies
Mimic and Greater Mimic
Basic and Advanced variant of the most common enemy. Mimic is a four legged small creature that can take the shape of small sized items, becoming hidden from you, and then attacking when you get too close in a moment's notice. Very fast. You can spot them if you find a certain tool, even when hidden. Basic ones can be dealth with Wrench without problem, Greater ones are much more resilient and have a jump attack that will make them stick to your face, use wrench when there is only 1 Greater, otherwise if you are not melee-oriented use Powers or Firearms.
Human-like bipedal creature. It has a ranged psi-blast attack which fires a fast yellow energy ball that deals high damage, a dash skill to close up distance fast or escape rapidly, and a melee tendril attack. Recommended using Powers or Firearms. Disable with Mindshock to suppress Dash and Ranged attacks, making it much easier to kill. Shotgun works very well as it can knock it down.
Upgraded version of Phantom, has all its skills but is more resistant, and when it dies releases a damaging small area of effect that lasts some time. Use Mindshock and Combaat Focus to destroy it quicly without giving chance to counter attack or escape.
Electrically charged Phantom. Immune to any electrical damage. Can charge allied Mimics or Phantoms to give them the power of lightning, making them immune to lighting and also giving bonus damage. Kill it quickly and possibly when isolated. Hitting it with Wrench will NOT give you electrical shock. If possible disable with Mindshock and equip Anti Electrical modification in your suit to reduce damage. It can also transfer current in conductive surfaces.
Fire based Phantom. Immune to all Flame damage. Attacks with fireballs that deal high damage. Sets on fire any flammable surface it comes in contact with. Staying near it will damage you over time because of heat. Recommended fire protection module to reduce damage, recommend engaging at a distance, if possible trap him with Gloo Gun then hit hard and fast.
Cystoid and Nest
Cystoid Nests will trigger when anything non-Typhon moves near them, releasing a quantity of Cystoids, kamikaze suicide Typhons that will explode dealing energy damage and inflicting high radiaton doses, leading to radiation sickness. Throw objects towards nest to trigger it to atatck the object, 2-3 items thrown will foten be good to deal with Cystoids as they will explode against the item. If they are following you, Gloo Gun shots can explode them, any weapon 1-shots them. A Nest can be instantly destroyed with a Mindshock hit. Making a Cystoid Nest friendly will cause cystoids to attack enemies, sometimes works some other no.
Operators of various types corrupted by typhon. Can be hacked while Stunned with Hacking 4 Skill to make them your friends. Mechanical enemy, Stun Gun or electricity based abilities recommended. Can be knocked down by Wrench even if it flies. Only attacks at close range, has no ranged weapons.
NOTE: There is a rare type of operator, Military operator, which cannot be spawned but only found. This variant is much tougher and is armed with a military laser weapon, very dangerous, disable immediately with electricity and then hack or destroy. If not corrupted it will be your friend and attack Typhons.
The bigger variant of corrupted operator. It is a large and armored enemy which can spawn Lightning Orbs near you that will shoot lightning, and do moderate damage. It is escorted always by corrupted operators, and around him has 2 Turrets under his control. A true flying fortress, it is a very dangerous and powerful enemy. Throw a EMP Grenade to disable turrets, operators and leave him stunned, then quickly dispose of his minions while casting Mindshock on him or using a Nullwave Grenade near him to disable his powers. Electrical damage highly effective against him and all his minions. Recycle Grenade also effective todestroy all EMP disabled minions on one shot around him, and deliver it great damage.
Enemy that controls nearby humans if present, and use them as walking bombs with massive damage. Humans can be killed by any means or stunned via stun gun or certain Psi skills. Telepath is a powerful enemy, but can be disabled with Nullwave or Mindshock, if he is disabled he will quicly try to escape then come back with powers ready, so quickly attack him when psi.disabled as he has no power. Psi disabling him will still enable it to control the minions. It can fly very high, has high health. Uses homing purple orbs as attack whcih damage and will disable your psi-power if they hit you, very dangerous. Recommended Stun Gun shot after disabling powers so you can shoot him without him running all around and out of range.
Large enemy surrounded by a yellow-golden aura. Always has a shield which will nullify some of your attacks at him. The shield is destroyed if Mindshock is used agaisnt him, he will try to escape if disabled. His only attack is very powerful, as he can create Phantoms from human bodies and even spawn quantities of Cystoids from itself, directing them at you. Act fast, fist mindshock to disable shield and power, then Stun Gun to immobilize, finally Shotgun or any high damage weapon to kill quickly. If it spawns cystoids retreat and eliminate them without it noticing by throwing stuff at them, then when he is alone again, attack.
Unique enemy what will come back multiple times after a certain event. If you kill him he will come back. After 2 minutes and 40 seconds he will disappear, if you manage to stay alive. Hide in maintenance tunnels, small places and rooms, security rooms to evade him easily. His attacks are a ranged barrage of psi spheres that will deal great damage, and a melee stomp that will deal enormous damage, probably insta-kill you. Never go near him. If killed delivers great quantitiy of Typhon material for crafting but it is not worth the ammo or psi to kill, as it has immense health.
Written by Tamaster
Recommended for You:
You May Also Like: