Please note: all credit goes to LeoninoMalino!
A quick guide for new survivor players.
FAQ for Newbie Survivors
How do I escape?
Turn on extractors, fuel them, and stay inside their area of influence until you collect enough points. Then two hatches will be available to exit the level, and both are closed. Takes around 15 – 20 seconds to open a hatch, and the progress towards opening it is not lost if you interrupt the opening.
How does extractor scoring work?
Each extractor will generate 1 point a send once active. These points will be rewarded to the player who activated the extractor. Also, an additional point is generated for each player inside an active extractor area, these points are rewarded to each player inside the area. This means that 3 active generators, with 3 players inside the area, will generate 6 points per second.
Do I need for the extraction progress bar to be low in order to make refueling as optimal as possible?
No, you should be looking at the timer on the extractor. Even if the progress bar is full, using a gas can will increase the active time, which is what ultimately matters.
Where are the gas cans?
They spawn once you start an extractor. They will spawn each and every time the extractor is started.
Late in game, I just die without a reason, what gives?
Once time runs out, each player will receive 1 tick of damage for second or so. This can only be stopped by reaching the target amount of darkness points through the extractors. Even if time runs out, if the generators manage to reach the goal before all players die, the darkness will dissipate and you will stop receiving damage.
The hunter always finds me when I try to open a hatch.
Keep in mind the hunter sees the same information for the hatches as the survivors, which means they know where they are, and when someone is opening them. Bait the hunter by using a hatch until 15% or so, and go hide. Keep him guessing.
Surviving the Killer
Dark Sight is OP
Not really a question… but Dark sight is not as powerful as it seems, and its definitely what makes new survivors kick the bucket.
While in Dark Sight mode, the hunter turns into a black cloud, and he is able to see the general location of survivors.
Once the hunter is next to the area where the survivor is, he will stop seeing a 2D indicator, and a 3D sphere will display the last know location of the player.
This location is all the info Dark Sight will provide to the hunter for that survivor, and it won’t update until he gets away from it. This means that if you manage to sneak away and leave, if the hunter stays next to your last known location, he won’t see your general direction on Dark Sight, and all he will see is the outdated 3D location.
How do I hide?
First of all, remember that you can go prone. And its extremely useful. There are a lot of corners, underpassages, elevated crates, high grass where you can hide by going prone. Explore every corner of the map. Crouching behind the first crate you see won’t keep you safe for long.
The best hiding stops are usually up (on top of some crates, or a roof), or down (prone on tall grass, being the most notorious example). Get creative.
Are hideables worth using?
While inside dumpsters/toilets/trashcan, you won’t be visible on Dark Sight, but he killer might still have your last known location if he was close enough before you got inside. Also, new hunters usually forget hideables even exist. Keep in mind that while inside a hideable, you cannot score points while inside the extractor area.
Can you even survive a chase once the killer finds you?
If you are in a open space, its will only be a matter of time before he gets you. Super sprint is only a tool to give you a couple of seconds, but you won’t regain your stamina before he catches up. There are only 2 things you can do:
- Items: The tazer, and the bear trap can disable the hunter for a few seconds, and the grenades (smoke, flashband, moleculizer) can disorient him. Use these seconds to hide, not just gain distance.
- Juke: Play mindgame on the hunter. Turn a corner, go prone, and as son as he passes next to you run from he came from. Turn a corner and make the hunter take a shortcut to catch up yo you, and instead go back from where you came from. Hard to pull off, specially if you don’t know the maps.
I die in one hit, what gives?
- Each player has 8HP. The melee attack of all hunters deal 4 damage, which means you go down on 2 hits. BUT if you die and are resurrected on a coffin, you will spawn with 2 fewer HPs. This means on your second life you will still die on two hits, since you will have 6HP max.
- On your third life, you will have 4HP which means you will die in one single hit.
- You can heal with painkillers (heals 2HP instantly) or a medkit (heals 4HP over time) right after being hit, which will make you endure an extra hit.
- Painkillers can heal your max health.
Where do I get perks and augments?
Under the Survivor tab, there is the Dark Path section. Here you explore different nets of nodes, which grant you items you can take into a match. You can also find perks and augments, which grant you special bonuses.
Whats the triangle on the character screen?
- Each Perk and Augment has three numbers next to its name (for example: 2-1-3).
- These numbers reflect your affinity while equipping said perk towards the Awareness, Strength, Mobility triangle.
- You can see a red outline and a small yellow triangle. With enough affinity on a stat, you can have additional bonuses.
For example: With 5 points in Mobility, your steps sound volume is reduced 50%. 5 points on Awareness will grant you XRay vision on items through walls, which is helpful to find items in-game more easily.
- If you have a tazer and you are being chased, to turn around and aim at the hunter while you keep walking backwards. If the killer goes straight to you, just taze him. If he starts strafing and moving erratically to make you miss, don’t shoot, this can help you keep distance as he is not using his full speed towards you, and its wasting it on moving around. This time might be enough for your stamina to finish replenishing. If so, keep running towards a spot where you can lose him.
- The moleculizer turns you invisible, but sometimes your silhouette still be seen (like a predator’s cloak), so don’t rely 100% on it to lose the hunter.
- Hiding from the hunter doesn’t mean wasted time. If you hide while inside the extractor’s area while its running, you will be making extra points for your team and moving the objective forward to its completion.
- Do not underestimate any item. Every item can be extremely useful on different situations, learn how to take full advantage of them.
- The hunter cannot see you while on Dark Sight mode. One bold move could be to move towards it so it runs pass you. Since your last known location will be left behind you, you will leave the hunter investigating an empty area.
- If you took an item into the match, you will spawn with it. Even if you use your item once, you will recover it once someone rescues you from a coffin.