This guide will teach you how to remove armor from modules through the use of a bug.
Guide to Removing Armor
Unarmored Modules - What Is This Sorcery?
You may have seen some ships either on the Steam Workshop or the Discord server, but noticed something unusual: some of the modules don't have armor when they should!
You're probably asking yourself, "How did they do that?" Well, there is an easy way that doesn't require any mods or file editing.
So How Did They Do It?
Zarkonnen plans to add armor removal as a feature some time in the future, but until then, here's how to do it:
- Place a medium or large bow literally anywhere on the ship. You don't even need to keep it afterwards, just until you've unarmored something.
- Enter the armor tab and select any kind of armor.
- Place the cursor over the empty part of the bow, and right click. Nothing should be highlighted in the armor tab after this.
- Left click to change the "armor" of anything you want to strip the armor from.
What About Buildings?
You may have noticed that you can't put bows on buildings.
Well, here is where you would need to edit a file.
- Locate the file for either the medium or large bow in Steam/steamapps/common/Airships Conquer The Skies/data/ModuleType/BOWS.json.
- Open the file.
- Look for the line.
"availableFor": ["AIRSHIP", "LANDSHIP"],
in the same section as either
Remove that line entirely, and then save the file. Note that you might want to keep the file open so that you can undo the changes later.
- If the game is open, you'll want to restart it.
- Now, if you go to the building editor, there should be a bow.
- Just use the same process as you would for a ship and you should be good to go.
And There You Have It
Here are some of my ships that make use of this bug: