Guide to Fix Desync
Bypassing a Desync
I’ll keep it short. Everyone who played this game with the same team for more than 3 rounds know that they desync after a prolonged connection to the same team. The devs fixed it but it is still likely to happen, though rarer now. This simple guide will tell you what to do when a desync happens to keep your Notoriety.
- Determine who the “leader” or “host” is first. The host or leader is the person who invited the other two members in a premade team. With random matchmaking, it’s a hassle to perform desync bypass.
- Communication in some form with your team members is essential to not mess it up.
- Notice the desync signs. Characters walking in place, gliding, monsters becoming unkillable and so on. Tell the others if they didn’t notice yet.
- When you are sure there is a desync, ALT + F4 and force close the game. Do not ALT + F4 if you are the “leader”. Only the other two players are supposed to force close the game, which will result in a “defeat” (which is good).
- After making sure only the non-host players closed their games, the host should stay in the defeat screen until the others use Steam overlay/friends list to join the host. I repeat, the host should stay and wait at the Defeat screen until the other two joins!
- After the two members join the host when the host is at the Defeat screen, you can tell the host to click Continue.
- If you did it right, the host will keep the Notoriety level. The other players will see different values but the host will retain the Notoriety.
- Rinse and repeat if a desync occurs again. It’s worth the trouble of restarting the game to prevent loss of progress.
This method was discovered by a friend of mine and we did benefit from it a lot. I hope this trick will be useful for many others before the devs fix the desync problem for good.