Guide to Spice Addiction
Tips for All Factions
- If not playing Duke then always trade with Duke. You won’t lose authority when trading with him and he will. That’s a free 15% trade and research boost.
- If not playing Duke then always be pillaging especially as Smugglers which give you hegemony. This is good income and also keeps your enemies from taking strategic villages if you keep them pillaged permanently.
- Keep an eye out for Water Seller Caravans. For 500 solari they give a good chunk of authority.
- Avoid bumping into too many factions at the same time. I.e don’t rush Polar Sink until you are ready.
- Always put your first agent on Arrakis for the +1 authority. I usually go first two there. +1/+2 adds up to a lot in the game and allows for early expansion.
- Focus on economy tree first, you at least need tech for processing plant, spice silos, extra harvester crews before you venture into the military tree. You need a healthy economy before you can build up a good military. If I find myself in a remote starting location then I sometimes go heavy eco and to make the Choam Branch building.
Timed Game Events That Are Not Easy to Notice
There are timed game events that are not obvious that you can easily miss your first several games. I don’t mean the red/green notifications at the top middle of your screen. I am referring to the small green/red tab looking notifications that will appear below your faction profile at the top left over the course of a game. When playing with tutorials on these appear with the tutorials so you might not even see them. These events are absolutely huge. They ask you to do something like create two new economy buildings or pillage two villages in X amout of days and give you a choice of rewards. You can snag 1000 solari, or 500 hegemony and 500 solari, troop experience, etc. More importantly, if you ignore the detrimental ones you can end up with a rebellion, lose a troop or lose spies.
The game does a poor job of emphasizing this area IMHO. Also if you forget to make a choice even after you meet the requirements you lose out on beneficial ones and fail the detrimental ones — easy to do in the last half of a hectic game when fighting and dealing with rebels. The UI needs rework to make these icons bigger and grab your attention much more.
Dirty Little Secrets
The game in its current state actually is easier on the hardest setting(Insane). This is because the AI just loves to send wave after wave of troops to you if you share a border with them. If you are not ready for it then you will be in for pain but if you are ready with a good economy, troops and ops then just farm the hell out of the AI for hegemony. Each kill is 25 hegemony whether it is the AI or militia. Most times when playing on Medium and especially Large maps you have plenty of time to build up your economy before worrying about a big military even on Insane. Small maps are definitely more challenging. Once you are ready with a good economy, decent size military, barracks building and good +intel generation then you+ops > AI waves of farmable units. It doesn’t matter how much the AI fails to take your village it will try over and over again giving you hegemony and troop xp.
I’ve done speed runs to compare how fast you can win the game. Would you believe the fastest way was through a one spice village hegemony victory with the Smugglers? Yea they are currently that broken. Here’s why. Each faction has their own specific way of gaining hegemony. The smugglers get it through pillaging. 150 hegemony per pillage doesn’t sound like a lot but it adds up. In my victory I had over 12k hegemony just from pillaging. Since smugglers can get income and research from underworld HQs I didn’t have to worry about taking any other villages. If you pick Banerjee you’ll get plascrete from pillaging along with increased solari. You will only have a plascrete issue later in the game as you fill up your HQ with buildings since they cost 20 plascrete each. Not really a problem though as long as you keep pillaging and trading with the AI.
Oh yea trading…this is kind of broken right now too 🙂 It doesn’t matter how much the AI hates you it will always trade with you. Oops you lost a spy in the assassinate operation? No problem you can usually get it back for 700-1000 solari and use it for you next step two steps of the operation.
Your first HQ building should always be a Research Center in a 1-slot. This will almost double your research speed and really get you going through the tech tree. When playing the Fremen which has an OP bazaar building your next building should be the bazaar also in a 1-slot(make sure you researched it in the eco tree). Put the bazaar in a 1-slot district and you get 40% bonus to research for economy, military and diplomatic. That combined with Research Center gets you through the tech tree faster than anyone. As if that wasn’t enough later you can move it in a two slot military to get +4 power to your units. If you want to steam roll over everything in your path as a Fremen you already have beefy units, now add +4 power and now you can have Fedaykin with +4 power, sand killer counselor and up against 5+ units by his lonesome for another 50% power and +5 armor is just silly fun.