Are you disappointed by the “Let’s talk about UX” video? Do you want more HUD customization like they promised? Well I found a simple solution. You can either disable all the HUD or just some of the elements by tweaking 1 of the game’s files. Here are the steps.
Guide to HUD Customization
- First of all you should close the game and install 7zip to open compressed files and a text editor like notepad++.
- Navigate to your game folder by right clicking your game in the library and selecting Manage->Browse local files. You can also go to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Dying Light 2
- Go inside the ph folder, then inside the source folder. You will be in:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Dying Light 2\ph\source
and there’s a file called “data0.pak” there.
- Open the file with 7zip, winrar or whatever you use. And then go inside the “gui” folder. Extract the “hud_config.scr” file (Backup the original file before!).
- Open the extracted file with notepadd++. And then you just need to edit some lines to disable stuff. I will show you an example below on how to disable the radar/compass.
- After making the changes, delete the “hud_config.scr” file inside the guide folder in “data0.pak” and move your own inside. You could also move and replace. (Backup the original file before!)
How to disable compass (example):
Scroll to the “DisplayList(“hud_screen_layer_radar”)” line:
Remove the lines inside the brackets:
Test in game with radar ON vs OFF:
Many thanks to CrayfishTheArrowed and his video on youtube for the idea! You can find his video tutorial here to disable all the hud here (he has a file already tweaked):