This is a quick tier list to everything combat related in the game.
Spells Without Using Combos
All of these spells are assuming that you are using the Talents associated with them. The spells in this list are only when the spells are used on their own and for their general ability to be combo’d with. A better judge of spells will be the Spell Combo section but this can be useful if you’d like to experiment or don’t understand how to combo yet.
- Petrificus Totalus – One Shot Kill on most enemies while not in combat. Instant S Tier.
- Avada Kedavra – One Shot Kill on anything even while in combat and multiple targets at once. Instant S Tier.
- Transformation – Enemy becomes an exploding Barrel and can be One Shot with Depulso. Instant S Tier.
- Arresto Momentum – Enemy can’t participate in the battle for a while and combat ends if he’s the last enemy. Easy S Tier
- Glacius – Enemy can’t participate in the battle for a while, combat ends if he’s the last enemy and it increases the damage of next spell. Easy S Tier
- Imperio – Enemy can’t participate in the battle against you for a while, combat ends if he’s the last enemy and they’ll even damage other enemies if the battle is still going on. Easy S Tier.
- Diffindo – Highest damage spell in the game and can hit multiple enemies. Low S, possibly High A Tier.
- Crucio – Enemy takes a large amount of damage, has hard time participating in the fight and causes other enemies to become cursed when struck. High A, possibly Low S Tier.
- Disillusionment – You’ll use it a lot and it’s necessary for sneak builds. Allows you to get in close for Petrificus Totalus but is only useful for hiding from enemies while not in combat.
- Confringo – The best fire utility spell and pretty decent damage. You’ll use it a ton but it’s not anything special.
- Depulso – Used for quite a few puzzles, can knock enemies off of stuff and initiates a One Shot when used on a transformed enemy.
- Accio – Generally replaces Levioso, fully replaces Wingardium Leviosa and pulls groups of enemies in close while making them float for good combo potential. You’ll use it a ton but it’s not anything special.
- Bombarda – Decent damage and AoE but nothing special.
- Expelliarmus – Somewhat takes an enemy out of the fight and does a little damage.
- Incendio – Massive damage but short range. It’s shotgun that makes a good combo move but isn’t great on it’s own.
- Descendo – Combos off most things and has AoE.
- Levioso – Basically replaced by Accio except for puzzles.
- Flipendo – Only good for puzzles.
Alohamora, Revelio, Beast Feed, Beast Petting Brush, Lumos, Nab-Sack, Reparo, Wingardium Leviosa, Altering, Conjuring, Evanesco, Ancient Magic Throw, Ancient Magic, Basic Cast,, Protego, Stupefy
- Transformation + Depulso – One Hit Kill anything that can be transformed while knocking everyone around you back and exploding on anything you aim at. Instant S Tier.
- Arresto Momentum + Glacius (+ Imperio) + Petrificus Totalus – Takes 2-3 enemies out of the fight so you can end the fight early with multiple One Hit Kills. Use Imperio on the big enemy as the other 2 don’t work on big enemies. Instant S Tier.
- Crucio + Basic Cast (+ Imperio) + Avada Kedavra – Curse everyone and One Hit Kill anything and everything. Instant S Tier.
- Accio + Descendo + Glacius + Diffindo(or Confringo) – Massive damage that will kill basically anything but not guaranteed. S, possibly Low S.
- Glacius + Diffindo – Cut out the fat and speed things along with the highest part of the damage. Works well with Transformation + Depulso to kill everything quickly. Top A, possibly Low S or even S Tier.
- Crucio + Basic Cast – Curse everything, ignore shields and damage everything every hit. Easy A Tier.
- Accio + Descendo + Glacius + Incendio(or Bombarda) – Alternative version of the S Tier combo but better for hurting groups of enemies rather than focusing on killing one. A Tier.
- Accio + Incendio – Good Group damage but nothing special. B Tier
- Expelliarmus + Ancient Magic Throw – Removes enemy weapon and hits them with it. Decent damage but nothing special. C Tier.
- Levioso + Descendo – Weaker Accio + Descendo. Low D, possibly Trash Tier.
- Swift – Amazing for moving fast and dodging. Instant S Tier
- Spell Knowledge 1/2/3 – More Spell slots? Yes please. Instant S Tier
- Avada Kedavra Mastery – One Hit Kill everything at once?! Instant S Tier.
- Protego Mastery – Destroy all enemy barriers while doing something you’ll already be doing? Easy S Tier.
- Human Demiguise – Sprint in Stealth. Easy S Tier.
- Sense of Secrecy 1/2 – Better Stealth. Easy S Tier.
- Petrificus Totalus Mastery – One Hit Kill Multiple enemies from stealth. Easy S Tier.
- Crucio Mastery – Curse everything. Easy S Tier.
- Focus Potion Potency – Almost infinite spell casting with no effort. Easy S Tier.
- Imperio Mastery – More curses with no effort. S Tier.
- Enduring Curse – Longer Curses. S Tier.
- Curse Sapper – Heal from killing all those you cursed. Low S Tier.
- Basic Cast Mastery – Spell recover faster. Instant A possibly Low S Tier.
- Endurus Potion Potency – Invulnerability and automatic counter. Instant A Tier, would be Easy S if the time was longer.
- Protego Absorption – Bonus Ancient Magic while doing something you should do anyway. Instant A Tier.
- Evasion Absorption – Bonus Ancient Magic while doing something you should do anyway. Instant A Tier.
- Maxima Potion Potency – Extra damage on Basic Casts and ignore enemy barriers. A Tier.
- Revelio Mastery – You’ll use this constantly, it’s just not special. Easy B Tier.
- Blood Curse – Deal damage to all the cursed enemies you made. Easy B Tier.
- Thunderbrew Potion Potency – Lots of automatic AoE damage. Easy B Tier, would be Low A if it wasn’t so close range.
- Noxious – Better Venomous Tentacula that also break shield from range. Easy C Tier but Easy B Tier if you are focused on a botany build.
- Stupefy Mastery – Keeps enemies stunned longer. C TIer, would be higher if Stupefy was more consistent.
- Stupify Expertise – Damage on Stupefy. C Tier, would be higher if Stupefy was more consistent.
- Stunning Curse – Curse with Stupefy. C Tier, would be higher if Stupefy was more consistent.
- Invisibility Potion Potency – Lets you be invisible during battle and use Petrificus Totalus on a couple enemies. C Tier, it just doesn’t last long enough
- Fertilizer – Double Cabbages when used. C Tier normally but Easy B Tier if you are focused on a botany build.
- Headache – Better Mandrakes. C Tier normally but B Tier if you are focused on a botany build.
- Protego Expertise – Some Extra damage for something you should be doing anyway. Instant D Tier but it would be higher if there wasn’t so much better stuff to spend talents on.
- Basic Cast Airborne Absorption – If the enemy is floating, you are probably wasting time basic casting on them except in the early game. D Tier.
- Slowing Curse – Curse on an enemy no longer in combat is as pointless as Dobby trying to stop Harry from going to school. Sure it did something, but did it really? D Tier.
- Ancient Magic Throw Expertise – Weak damage and basically requires Expelliarmus. Trash Tier
- Wiggenweld Potency 1/2 – As long as these potions heal even a little damage, they have served their use in keeping you from One Shot range. Trash Tier.
- Disarming Curse – Curse with Expelliarmus…..Trash Tier.
- Knockback Curse – Flipendo….Trash Tier.
- Ancient Magic Focus
- Ancient Magic
- Protego Shielding
- Amphibial Protection
- Goblin-Silver Resistance
- Necromantic Protection
- Lupus Protection
- Focus – Basically unlimited spells. Instant S Tier.
- Endurus – Basically Invincible for a short time. S Tier.
- Maxima – Extra Basic Cast damage and shield break. A Tier.
- Thunderbrew – Tons of AoE damage around you. A Tier.
- Invisibility – Turn invisible in combat. Has it’s uses but not necessary. C Tier.
- Wiggenweld – I’d put in Trash Tier but it does heal you even if you don’t have any ancient magic or cursed enemies to kill for healing yourself out of kill range. C Tier.
- All of them – Great for a botany focused build but not worth investing in otherwise. A Tier.
- All of them – If you’re not a botany focused build and didn’t put talents into it, it definitely is useful but isn’t game changing. Easy C Tier.
You’re tripping, protego expertise is literally the best talent in the game. I’ve killed countless enemies with it
The ten Talents in the “Spell” category are missing from the Talent section. Other than that, great overview of the combat system and one I will be referring back to quite often.