Combo Wraith is a playstyle for Wraith focused around sudden bursts of combo damage from mid-short ranges. Its been my main playstyle for around a year so I figured I’d make a guide on how to play it.
Guide to Wraith Combo
Combo Wraith is as previously stated a playstyle centered on dealing burst dmg at short-medium ranges.
This is usually done by comboing 3 sources of damage, but we will go over those later.
Because of Wraiths low HP this playstyle turns you into the ultimate close range assassin/glass canon.
How to Play Combo Wraith
Wraith has the lowest hp, which makes it hard to win normal fights. There are playstyles that can make you capable of winning these duels like Specops, but Combo Wraith aims to end these fights before they can even start properly.
How to play a fight
I’ll go over the steps your should go through in a fight. If you kill your enemy before reaching the end of the Combo that’s great but you don’t always do that.
When you see your enemy your first action should be getting above your enemy. After that you’ll want to toss your grenade at your enemy. Hopefully this 1shots them and you can pick up the grenade they dropped so you are ready for the next enemy. But if it doesn’t move to step 2.
If your grenade didn’t kill your target, or if there were multiple your next step is your sniper rifle. Pull it out and either quick scope or take your time to line up a shot depending on the range. You can technically noscope but the spread is very wide so I don’t recommend it.
If your target is still not dead this is where you pull out your secondary of choice to finish them off. The exact strategy here depends on your secondary, but they should be on pretty low health at this point so this step shouldn’t be much trouble.
At this point your target should be dead. If they aren’t you are. After you kill your opponent the first thing you should do is go for their health and grenade drop. These are very important for you to be able to fight your next fight. You should also activate your cloak to avoid instantly getting ganked by a the enemy team.
Now this seems pretty simple when broken down into steps like this. But all this should ideally happen basically instantly before your opponent or their team has time to react. This is of course not always possible and in many cases you can’t do the full combo in this order. So to play Combo Wraith to it’s full potential you need to learn what parts of the combo to use at what times.
Encounter finished at step 1
Encounter finished at step 2
Additional Fight Tips
Open with Cloak
- Whenever you enter a combat area you want to activate the cloak. Its duration is long enough that by the time it runs out you should’ve found someone, and even if you don’t it’s cooldown is short enough it doesn’t matter much.
Be above your opponent
- This serves two purposes. Firstly Its rare that people look upwards, so when you uncloak you wont be instantly killed. But the most importantly reason you should go above people even if you dont have cloak is because it makes it easier to kill them, because it allows the Frag to travel more of its arm time before hitting the ground and makes headshots easier to hit.
- Your PV can be used to gain height or a speedboost in a pinch, don’t be afraid to use it in a fight just because its primary purpose is travel outside of fights.
- The Deadeye sniper rifle is by far the easiest weapon to recommend for Combo Wraith. The entire playstyle is focused on burst dmg, so why would you pick a LRR over a Sniper Rifle.
- Any secondary can work, but I recommend and personally use the sword for the increased survivability and easy cleanup dmg if a combo doesn’t kill someone. But any weapon can work here so use whatever works best for you.
- For your tactical I heavily recommend Cloak over Invis. The extra speedboost and especially jump height is incredibly useful. You can use Invis if you want to play more passively, but I don’t recommend it.
- Grenades are the most complicated part of your loadout, there are two main options. The EMP or the Frag. I personally use the Frag, but they are quite similar except for 2 key features. The EMP 1shots shields but deals no health dmg, and the frag deals more dmg but doesn’t 1shot shields. At the end of the day pick the one you like best.
- For augments there are two main options, one aggressive and one defensive. Although you can play both ways with both. The two augments are Fast Grapple for extra mobility which can be used either to get in faster and survival a fight with evasion or to reposition. The other is Accelerated Shields because it makes it so a quick duck into cover can regen your shields back to full which Wraith greatly benefits from.
- For suit modules anything that enhances your jump height will be good. So either Acrobat or Jump Thrusters. I personally use Jump Thrusters because I think it makes it easier to aim mid jump but just like with grenades and augments both work and its just a matter of preference.