Frequently Asked Questions
Getting Into the Game
Where can I purchase the game?
- You may visit our store page or purchase the game via Steam.
What platforms can I play Mortal Online 2 on?
- Mortal Online 2 is currently available on PC only.
- The game relies on mouse and keyboard and is optimized for machines capable of pushing hardware limits.
Do I need Steam to play Mortal Online 2?
- Yes. You will need to download and play the game through your Steam account. We have taken this route because we want full control over our game being distributed and protection against intrusion.
- We may also offer the game on other launchers such as the Epic Games launcher in the future.
Why a subscription model?
- At Star Vault we value the integrity of our game.
- With the subscription model, we can ensure every player experiences the game on equal terms, as well as allowing us to continue developing the game and adding new content for many, many years to come. All without sacrificing or lowering the integrity of the game world and its player base.
- A subscription model allows us to focus all of our resources into developing new content and features for the game, instead of creating things like cosmetics for microtransactions that don’t actually add to the game’s playable content.
- In our game, almost every item is crafted by players, or dropped by something in the world. We see introducing cosmetic items is a missed opportunity to add that new item for players to craft or find within the game world naturally opposed to buying it with real money.
- In Mortal Online 2, all of our clothes, armor, weapons and equipment visually show what materials they were made from, which players can use to learn valuable information about their opponents and how well equipped they are, or what weapons and tactics might be effective against them.
- Cosmetics that change the appearance of items within the world would break this feature.
- In Mortal Online 2 you can be confident that anything you see another player wearing or holding can be crafted or found within the world organically, and that no players have any advantages that they paid money for.
How much does the game cost?
- We will offer several purchase/subscription options in the future.
- After purchasing the game and paying an active subscription fee of 14.25 USD per month, all additional content and updates are included.
Is Mortal Online 2 pay to win?
- Mortal Online 2 is a buy to play game with a monthly subscription cost. There will be no cash shop or additional ways to spend money.
- There is absolutely no pay to win in Mortal Online 2.
What kind of game is Mortal Online 2?
- Mortal Online 2 is a next generation, first-person, sandbox MMORPG set in a fantasy world.
- In Mortal Online 2, players are never truly free from danger. There are no specific PvP or safe zones, only an open, realistic world where you are free to choose your own path. Experience true, real-time combat where outcomes are decided by skill rather than levels or gear.
- Build your own house, create a guild, construct a keep and forge an empire. With enough power, violence or diplomacy, you and your allies may rule an entire nation.
- Mortal Online caters to players of all shapes, sizes and playstyles. Become a legendary crafter whose goods are traded across the globe. Study the art of combat and become a famous warrior. Explore areas never before seen by other players. This is a world where your individual reputation is everything. No matter what path you decide to take, people will recognize you by the impact you’ve made on the world.
How many characters can I create per account?
- One. The 15 years we spent developing Mortal Online 1 opened our eyes to the many issues that came with our previous skill system and multiple characters. Therefore, we decided to go with our original vision of one character per account. This allows us to add more depth to character progression. Additionally, it increases the importance of your reputation and impact of your decisions in the world.
- Won’t I be limited then just to one play style with one character per account?
- No. We are completely rebuilding the skill system in order to allow one character to fill many roles. For example, characters will have access to separate combat and crafting trees. Each tree comes with its own set of skill points.
- Mortal Online relies heavily on player interaction and trading. Therefore, it is not intended for one player to become 100% self-sufficient. However, we have systems in development which are designed to support trading even while AFK or asleep.
How many races & classes are there in Mortal Online 2?
Mortal Online 2 offers 10 different races to choose from.
- 5 human
- 4 non-human
- 1 half-breed
Is there in-game voice chat?
- Yes. The game offers a fully functional proximity-based VOIP service.
Is there a global chat?
- There is currently a global help chat offered within the game which can be accessed by opening the chat window and typing /h.
- However, this is not a permanent feature. Eventually players will be bound to local chat and other “magical” ways of communicating with your friends/guild.
Is Mortal Online based on Earth rules?
- Quite a bit. We aim to deliver a believable world that utilizes many of the principles and rules found on Earth. You’ll notice many of our methods for obtaining resources or creating goods follow similar logic to what you might find on Earth.
What happens when I log out of the game?
- In order to safely exit the world, players will be required to log out within their home or an Inn.
- Logging out in the wild will leave your character unprotected until the game automatically removes you.
- We are also looking into the option of setting up camps which allow you to safely log out in the wild.
How does taming work?
- Players must first learn about the animal they wish to tame through study and practice. From there, it’s up to you to track it, tame it, feed it, care for it and create a lasting bond.
Can I own a house?
- Yes. Player housing and cities are a core feature of Mortal Online 2. We will continue to improve and expand on these systems over time.
Is there quick travel since the world is large?
- No. Mortal Online 2 does not offer fast travel.
- Trade runs and regional powers/resources are an essential part of the game. Bypassing these with fast travel would devastate the economy as well as other important aspects.
- That being said, there are dangerous and risky ways of magically transporting a player from one location to another.
When did the development for Mortal Online start?
- Development of Mortal Online 1 began in 2005 and was heavily influenced by games like Ultima Online and Star Wars Galaxies.
- It was developed entirely in Unreal Engine 3. During this time, our team was met with a wide range of challenges such as of building our own network solution capable of supporting a global, uninstanced world.
- After 15 years of development, we came to the realization that it was time to part ways with our limitations and begin developing Mortal Online 2. Thanks to advances in technology and 15 years of experience, we are finally capable of achieving our original vision for the game.
Can I buy in-game items with real money?
- Absolutely not. We’re all MMORPG players at Star Vault and understand the negative impact this has on games.
How many other players will be in Mortal Online 2 and how many servers?
- Mortal Online 2 consists of a single global server capable of supporting thousands of online players simultaneously.
- We have spent years developing our own network code which allows players to compete whether they live next to the server or across the globe.
- The only factor limiting online players is physical space. In order to combat this, Mortal Online 2’s world will be 6 times larger than Mortal Online 1.