This guide aims to provide some very basic tips and advice for getting the Speedrun achievement.
How to Obtain Speedrun Achievement
Disclaimer: I have yet to return to do another speedrun for the purpose of getting screenshots and jogging my memory, as such the route information later in this guide will be pretty bare bones. I don’t consider this guide ‘complete’ but do consider it ‘functional’.
Bobo Robot, the cute little sort-of-metroidvania. It’s speedrun achievement baffled me until I learned two little tricks. Hopefully this guide and trick will help you get the achievement without too much difficulty. So what are these game changing tricks?
- Pausing: Yup, pausing… that’s the trick. Why is it ‘the’ game changer? Because pausing the game doesn’t actually pause the game, but it does pause the in-game timer, and that’s what the achievement cares about. Anytime you would need to stand still, simply pause the game and save time, it’s really that easy. Standing on a button? Waiting for/in an elevator? Waiting for a door? Staring at a frog? Waiting to finish respawning? Pause as much as you can throughout the run and you should be golden.
- Respawning: I know, doesn’t sound exciting, but in the options menu you can respawn, doing so will send you back to the last respawner to used… or to the ship if you haven’t used one in the current area… and when you respawn, you’ll still be carrying whatever you were carrying at the time. I.e. no need to backtrack.
- Step 1: Make your way to the gun, hook back gun through bamboo, you don’t need to go under to get to the key, just keep jumping and you’ll get over, I don’t know why.
- Step 2: Go to the ship and mash dialogue.
- Step 3: Go right, activate respawner, get ship part.
- Step 4: Use Respawner, put ship part in, go get the second ship part.
- Step 5: Use respawn warp to get back to the ship quick, put the part in and mash more dialogue.
- Step 6: Fly away, mash through some more dialogue and veer left to the frog swamp.
- Step 7: Open the door by jumping a few times. I’m not entirely certain if the jumps need to be a certain height or location, i did them on the small platform out from the door.
- Step 8: Drop down into the water, and head down, go press the button, when the enemies spawn, respawn.
- Step 9: return, grab the key, and head left then up.
- Step 10: don’t use the respawner, just stare at the frog.
- Step 11: frog boss, I don’t genuinely know if this boss can even attack, I’ve always beat it before it ever seemingly could get a single attack off.
- Step 12: Mash more dialogue, pick up the powerup, mash more dialogue, respawn and leave the area.
- Step 13: Head right to the outpost, moving your ship in the room you should be able to take the upper path right without wasting time shooting a button.
- Step 14: Continuing right and on the upper path you’ll reach the ship gun, which you can get with the key you took from frog swamp.
- Step 15: Respawn and leave, return to starting area, and veer hard left until you reach the crashed ship, grab the keycard, then respawn and leave.
- Step 16: Return to outpost and get its key, respawning to leave.
- Step 17: Head up, but before going to the big ship, veer left, and make sure you shoot the two tiles of barrier to the final area, this is important.
- Step 18: Get into the big ship, and immediately veer down to leave. When you’re out the barrier to the final area should be gone.
- Step 19: Final area ahoy, robots don’t hurt you on touch so simply avoid their projectiles, jump on/over them, and get to the end. When you see the fork in the road down and to the left, head left with the key you got from the outpost, as you no longer need the key down there. Use the respawner here to respawn warp from the buttons.
- Step 20: Throughout this guide, I left it up to you to spot times and places to use pausing, but the final big fall you can actually pause in the air, it doesn’t save much time, but if you made mistakes along the way, (like i did) it’s a nice final spot to save some seconds.
If you’re not using pausing to its fullest, the achievement can feel impossible, but hopefully with this advice you should find in considerably easy. Unlike my previous two Sokpop Speedrun achievement guides, I didn’t do another speedrun of Bobo Robot yet so don’t have screenshots. I may do another run and get screenshots in the future. If you have any questions of find any mistakes, feel free to comment them and I’ll try to address them as soon as I am able.