This is a basic guide for new players to help get you into the game sooner rather than later. These a tips from hours of play and aimed at getting a good start. By no means an expert guide, but enough tips to help a new player get to the enjoyment part of the game quicker.
Your followers have several key roles to play, and they can change at different stages of the game.
Explore, explore, explore, when you start a new game, you need to know what is out there and the quickest and best way is to get your followers to explore.
- For the first 10 turns have all 4 followers exploring provinces.
- After this, you will want at least 2 followers exploring up to turn 50.
- Then just explore when you need to.
- Now you have explored, you should also have one follower “searching” provinces for Dungeons.
- Level up follower levels via getting experience.
- Send followers on diplomatic ventures via being an emissary to independent towns/cities.
- Attach followers as either General, Scout or Champion in your armies and have them fight in battles by attaching to units at the start of the battle.
Follower key activities
- Explore a province
- Search a province
- Emissary to independent towns (great to get experience)
- A role in an Army (General first, scout second)
- Train workers new traits.
Things not to worry about
Appointment to offices, I have found this to be of minor value and something you can explore when you become a veteran.
Your workers are needed to build things and then make those building more efficient.
Always make sure you have worker in your wizard tower as this extra money/food/tools really helps, especially early in the game.
Training: you should always have at least one follower training your workers in new traits.
Most of your economy will come from selling resources you are producing.
You will get most of your resources from building mines/farms/hunting cabins/logging camp/
Building the “Bazaar” in your wizard tower (in order to build a “Bazaar” you need a green or brown building slot). The “Bazaar” is the first Wizard Tower building I always build, for 1000 gold, you will be getting 100 gold per turn and other benefits.
To build a building, first you should go to the “Survey” mode on the main map, you do this by clicking on the “Survey” button and this expands out several buttons that represent the different resource collecting building you can build. This is an important why to see the best hex in a province you own to build what type of buildings.
Once you have a few resources buildings built, you will start getting regular resources. Of all the resource only “Food” has a limit and will automatically start selling excessive resources (Note: Influence and Mana also have a “cap [capacity]” limit but you don’t use them to sell for gold).
Therefore, you will want to “set” stockpile limits for most of your resources, so that any amount over that stockpile limit will be automatically sold for gold.
- Wood – stockpile 200 sell the rest.
- Granite, Marble – stockpile 100 sell the rest.
- For all the rest stockpile 50 and sell the rest.
Except for “Trade Tools” you don’t need any of these for anything, so just select “No Stockpile” and always sell any trade tools.