Easy tips that I wish I knew when getting started, including how to get free packs and batch recycle cards.
Tips for Beginners
Some tips for Master Duel
- You can batch recycle cards in the deck builder by clicking the bars in the top right corner of the screen. This will leave you with 3 copies of every card.
- Special packs pull from the greater pool of 10k cards with 4 cards guaranteed to be from the special pool that you can check before buying.
- Getting the season pass is a sensible first purchase, because you will hit a huge reduction in gems early in the game (and might have missed your chance).
- There is a gem cap of 10k gems, and anything acquired after that goes to your mailbox for 30 days. Think of story duels like a bank you can withdraw from as needed if you fear you might cross this threshold.
- In story duels, challenges have separate prizes. One is from using the story deck and the other is from using a custom deck. You can check this on the track by clicking on the challenge and then clicking on “Loaner Deck”. This is a good way to get missed Attribute Orbs for clearing gates.
- Know what you want before you start buying packs. Once you see a specialty pack you are interested in, focus all your attention on that pack, because it’s on a timer. Once you have most/all of the cards you wanted, batch recycle to get a lot of crafting materials from your surplus to fill in the blanks.
- Crafting an SR or UR card in the deck constructor will unlock that cards Secret Pack as well as giving you 1 free pack.
What I wish I did
What I wish I did first was power through the Story mode with the loan decks. After finishing that (or at least making some quick progress), I would have figured out which cards I was going to need for competitive play, If you like to play casually or with a personal favorite, I would pick one casual deck and one “breadwinner” deck (so that you can progress in the ranks or play for fun whenever you want). After doing this, I would have gone back and finished the side duels in Story Mode.
Something I didn’t know at first was how the Secret Packs worked. I knew you can unlock them by doing Solo mode in some specific cases or by opening generic packs. What I didn’t know was that you can also get them by crafting a SR or UR card that comes in them AND you would get a pack for free by doing this.
For example… I wanted to play with Metaphys. To find which pack the archetype came in, I went to the deck creation card search and looked them up. There is a “How to Obtain” feature on every card. Using this, I found that the pack is called “Interdimensional Interlopers”.
So I started buying a lot of Dark World packs hoping to unlock it by chance (4 cards are random in Secret Packs, and 4 are from the card pool).
That was a huge mistake. What I should have done was craft a Metaphys Ragnarok. It is a SR card from the pack, and crafting one would have unlocked the secret pack in the shop. I spent at least 8,000 gems on Darkworlds (and I now have a Darkworld Deck because of it, coincidentally).
Recommended for You
- Yu-Gi-Oh! Master Duel – Unlocking Secret Packs Guide
- Yu-Gi-Oh! Master Duel – General Economy Guide (Shop, Gems, Card Crafting and Tips)
- Yu-Gi-Oh! Master Duel – Shop Guide (Card Packs, Structure Decks and Accessories)
- Yu-Gi-Oh! Master Duel – Solo Mode Guide (Gate & Chapters)
- Yu-Gi-Oh! Master Duel – Useful Tips and Tricks for New Players