Before you Play the River City Girls game, you will definitely want to know these simple but useful tips and tricks. If you have any tips feel free to share with us!
Things to Know Before Playing
- The game’s unlike most beat ’em ups in that you’re not really expected to clear every room and enemies will keep respawning in if you hang around. If there’s no chains around the screen, you can bail out if things look too difficult. Just don’t skip every fight since you still want money and xp.
- The characters don’t share xp or unlocked moves, but they do share in money pick ups to help get them up to speed. Just be careful to spend it right away if you opt to switch later on since dying takes away a chunk of money and you’d be running around as a lvl 1 with no unlocked moves and a fat wallet for a bit. You can swap characters by doing a Save&quit then reloading the save file. The characters aren’t wildly different, Kyoko’s specials move her around more and is a bit easier to combo with while Misako is more bruiser.
- Each type of food gives a minor permanent stat buff the first time a character eats it, then just healing after that. Video games and toys work this way while you’re in the shopping district.
- Vending machines drop an apple for a small heal when destroyed and show up as early as the first few rooms in the school. They don’t respawn when destroyed.
- Try to spend down your money and stock up on higher end healing items before a boss fight since dying removes a chunk of cash. Try to only use the items if it’s a good run and it’ll push the fight to a win since the item stays gone if you use it then die.
Misc. Combat Tips
- Enemies sometimes take a free swing the moment they get up. Easiest thing to do is just block while an enemy is getting up but you can also move behind them since they’ll swing in the same direction they were facing when knocked down.
- Usually you want to throw/knock groups of enemies into one big pile, ideally against a wall. Not only does each attack hit multiple enemies this way, they bounce off each other and the wall which juggles them so they get hit by more attacks.
- Keep an eye out for running/jumping enemies as it’s almost always a lead in for an attack.
- Later bosses, or early bosses on later phases, will block and counter after 2-3 hits. Just stick to 1-2 hits then heavy/super attack for them.