Text guide on how to earn all achievements for Backbone.
How to Obtain All Achievements
There are 5 achievements tied to completing the 5 Acts of the game. Act 2 is roughly 50% of the total game.
There are no hidden achievements in Act 1 (that I have found).
- First Trust – During your first cutscene at the apartment with Renee, make choices showing that you trust Renee.
- Not Born Yesterday – During your first cutscene at the apartment with Renee, make choices showing that you doubt / are suspicious of Renee.
- Enabler – In Gastown, before the fake truck arrives, give cigarettes to kids out front of the Den (right from the start), and don’t tell them that cigs are bad.
- Sins of our Fathers – In Gastown, before the fake truck arrives, tell the kids what their parents are eating.
- Trout Talker – In Gastown, at the Liquor Store, talk to the Tuna 25-30 times. It will eventually explode.
- Tonic for the Soul – In Gastown, at the Liquor Store, reassure Louis in your dialogue choices.
- Bad Medicine – In Gastown, at the Liquor Store, be mean to Louis in your dialogue choices.
- Badge of Honour – In the West End, when speaking alone with Henry, let him hold your detective badge.
- Howard Lotor – In Act 1 and Act 2, tell the truth about who you are (Howard Lotor) during every conversation.
- Wallace Brotor – In Act 1 and Act 2, lie about who you are (Wallace Brotor) during every conversation.
- Brollace Howtor – Swap back and forth between being Howard Lotor and Wallace Brotor when speaking to people in Act 1 and Act 2.
Note: One or more of these may get bugged, and you will have to delete your achievements.sav file + disable Steam cloud in order to trigger them. You should only delete achievements.sav after earning the book and sniff achievements (if you want to earn them).
- Snoopy Snooper – At Rose’s house, on her computer, look at every file.
- Keep the Hope Alive – After leaving Rose’s room, but before leaving Rose/Florence’s house, speak with Florence again and reassure her with your dialogue choices.
- Cruel to be Kind – After you tie up Eddie, and he answers your 3 questions about items in his lab, you have a conversation with him. Be mean, and threaten to pour acid on him. When you pick up the acid, this will trigger.
- Me Time – Get firewood without talking to anyone in the first open-world section. In the second, continue not talking to anyone… sit at the water edge, sit on the edge and become the forest, and then return to your tent and take a nap.
- Geezer Pleaser – In Act 2, pet the geezer. In Act 2, be nice to the delivery geezer and tip them. In Act 4, be respectful to the geezer under the Bridge, and then pet the geezer.
- New Habits Die Easy – Rat out Joshua to Roger that he’s smoking in the woods.
- True Connection – For the letter that you write to Renee in the container in Act 4, pick the love themed options. Note: this is missing some information still on how to properly trigger.
- Affirming Flame – When breaking out of the container, put the wet bandage over your face and then feign being unconscious. Then be nice to Belle when you leave. You can also get this achievement by being nice to Eddie in Act 3.
There are no achievements in Act 5.
Across Multiple Acts
Note: If you miss any, the achievement should trigger upon getting the final item you are missing in a subsequent playthrough. You do not need to get all within 1 playthrough.
- Blurb Herder – Read every bit about every book in the game, from all shelves and NPCs. The achievement will trigger when trapped in the container, after the cutscene where you’re experimented on, and you read the front cover, middle, and back cover of the book left for you.
- Howard’s bathroom at the start of Act 1
- Book Store in Gastown in Act 2
- Bookshelves of the Minister’s Office in Act 2
- At the apartment building in West End, 5th floor, in Act 2
- The book about flowers in Florence’s apartment, in Act 2
- Belle’s book in the container in Act 4
- Smell-o-Vision – Sniff everything that can be sniffed. Will award from the bandage in the container in Act 4 if you did not miss any.
- Jeremy’s dead body in Act 1
- Flesh in the crate at the liquor store in Act 2
- Minister’s desk in Act 2
- Flowers on the roof in the Science City garden in Act 3
- The air and your tumor at Larry’s Mirror in Act 4
- The bandage on your tumor in the container in Act 4