Before you play the Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean game, you will definitely want to know these simple but useful tips and tricks. If you have any tips feel free to share with us!
Things to Know Before Playing
- You need a high tolerance for frustration. As all your battle commands rely on the luck of card draws, the RNG is going to screw you in every possible way over the course of this game. This isn't a complaint, just something to know going in.
- There's not much point in seriously micromanaging your deck. Just swap out the older cards for newer, better ones as you get them.
- Elemental damage cancels itself out, so don't use two attack cards of opposed elements in a single turn. If you use a card that does 40 fire damage and a card that does 30 water damage in one turn, you're going to end up doing 10 fire damage overall. The same applies to setting up elemental defenses.
- The game is full of secret card combinations. Use two cards together in a single turn, and at the end of the fight you may be rewarded with a special card that combines the two. Do yourself a favor and look up an FAQ, because without these card combinations you miss out on some of the most useful healing cards in the game.
- Certain cards will change if they remain in your inventory long enough (in terms of time spent playing). This mostly applies to food-based cards. Some get better with time, some worse, some better and then worse.
- You may be wondering after the first chapter, so I'll tell you right now: No, the voice acting doesn't get any better.
- That being said, go into the Options menu and switch to Surround Sound. For whatever reason that cancels out the infamous "tin can effect" that the voice tracks have for whatever reason.
- On disc 1 you go to Mintaka (The imperial capital) and then on to a battleship called Goldoba. This is a point of no return - at the end of the battleship you'll fight a difficult boss, and there's no way to level up on the battleship. Make sure to keep a save before getting on the ship in case you're underpowered.
- Occasionally Kalas will ask you questions about what to do or how you feel. Do not answer these honestly, answer them as Kalas would. Occasionally the game will turn one of the cards in your hand into an elemental super attack to finish a combo, and the more in-sync you are with Kalas, the more likely it is to happen.