Detailed walkthrough to finding the hidden artifacts and unlocking every ending to The Room Three.
This guide operates under the assumption that you have completed the game at least once. In your inventory you should have at a minimum a Screwdriver and a Craftman’s Key. You may have other items, which will be later used for finding the hidden artifacts required to unlock the alternate endings.
To unlock the alternate endings, you first have to find two hidden “Mysterious Artifacts”. The puzzles to finding these artifacts span across multiple rooms connected to the central chamber in the game. This guide has detailed sections on how to retrieve the artifacts.
The items in the Mysterious Artifact sections of this guide are listed in the order that you should find and use them, though you may find some items earlier. Most of them will disappear from your inventory after you use them to find the next item, until ultimately you have one of the artifacts.
The good news is that you will not have to replay the entire game multiple times to unlock each of the four endings. The game saves the state of your inventory from right before you entered the final puzzle (through the dark tentacled doorway). This means you can collect both artifacts, complete the game, and just redo the final puzzle room a few more times by clicking the “Change your fate” option from the main menu (only shows up after you last finished an ending).
Mysterious Artifact #1 Solution
Items to be found:
- Crystal #1;
- Crystal #2;
- Mysterious Artifact (star-shaped).
Go to the study (it is the doorway with a curtain from the central chamber). There is a grandfather clock against the wall by the desk. The puzzle involves just the clock, and you will get the crystal when you complete it.
Solution to clock puzzle:
- Look at the clock face and put on the eyepiece.
- Wait until the minute hand reaches a quarter hour, as the clock will chime and a little switch will appear underneath the clock face.
- When you slide the switch the bottom of the clock opens. Use your eyepiece on the pendulum.
- Slide the metal rods above the pendulum to the numbers you saw through your eyepiece. (4 1 2)
- The clock face will open and you can retrieve the crystal.
Go to the tower, which is via the elevator in the library. On the side of the room with the generator (farthest from the stairs you just climbed), there is a golden orb on the railing in the center of the room. Rotate the orb so that the lamp will swing and hit the railing by where the old safe is on the other side of the room. The safe will fall down. (The orb will be a little hard to turn at first, I thought it wasn’t working for a few seconds.) Return downstairs, out the library back to the central chamber. The safe will be open on the ground. Retrieve the crystal.
Mysterious Artifact (star-shaped)
Go to the greenroom (two doors to the right of the study, which is the doorway with a curtain from the central chamber). Attach the two crystals you found to the device on the table across from the generator. (There should already be one purple crystal on the device.) A latch will release, and now you can move the handle on the device to the left. Now the screen to the right of the crystal device will illuminate. Just use the buttons to follow the arrow on the edge of the screen, and you will find the first mysterious artifact.
Mysterious Artifact #2 Solution
Items to be found:
- Small Mechanism
- Token #1
- Crank Wheel
- A Cross Shaped Key
- Token #2
- Crank Handle
- Metal Object
- Wax Cylinder
- Token #3
- Metal Device
- Token #4
- Mysterious Artifact (octagonal-shaped)
Go to the fortune teller box on the first floor of the library (the room to the left of the study, the study being the doorway with a curtain). Underneath the window with the fortune teller, there is a coin slot that can be pulled out. Retrieve the Small Mechanism. Inspect it in your inventory, it can be turned into a key.
Take the Small Mechanism key and go to the study (curtained room from central chamber). Use it to unlock the top right drawer of the desk. The drawer has a false bottom, look on the left side of the exterior. There is a yellow switch, slide it to slide back the drawer’s false bottom. Retrieve the handle.
Use the Handle on the drawer on the left side of the desk. There is a switch on the right side of the interior of the drawer. Slide it, and solve the sequence of puzzles (just sliding things around) until the token pops out.
Take the token from the desk and return to the fortune teller in the library. Put the token in the coin slot and take out the crank wheel.
Cross Shaped Key
Take the crank room to the room opposite the library. (From the central chamber it looks like there’s a gate in that room.) Put the crank wheel on the lock by the gate. Go through and solve the math puzzle on the right. (Pull the levers to see the drawers where you will have to solve math equations. The arrows indicate the order of the equation, you will start from bottom to top. The solution is below.) Make sure to push the drawers back in with the levers after solving the math problems. Move the sliders to the correct places so that “Library” is illuminated. Go to the library and you will hear ringing. Answer the phone next to the phonograph on the first floor of the library. Retrieve the cross shaped key.
Solution to each math drawer, from bottom to top:
- Left drawer: 8 + 4 + 5;
- Middle drawer: 7 * 4 + 3;
- Right drawer: 2 x 5 + 4 + 12 – 5 + 9.
Go back to the room with the math puzzle (room opposite the library in the central chamber, past the gate). Use the cross shaped key on the box with six drawers in the left corner of the room. The keyhole is at the top of the box.
Turn the key. Follow the animation and open the drawers in the same order (top left, bottom left, middle top, middle bottom). Retrieve the token.
Take the token back to the fortune teller in the library and insert it into the coin slot. Take the crank handle. You won’t use this yet for the next couple of items.
Go up the stairs of the library by the fortune teller, and notice that there is a table with two posters. If you look at the bottom of the posters from the side, you’ll see they’re on a book-like contraption with some handles on the sides. Lift the left handle and the Metal Object (shaped like a box) will be underneath.
Take the Metal Object to the greenroom (three doors to the left from the library), by the crystal device. You will see a wooden box to the left of the crystals with a little stand protruding. Put the Metal Object on the stand and watch it go in. Using your eyepiece, turn the Metal Object into an orb shape. Return to the posters at the upstairs of the library, and place the orb on the right side under the posters. Pull down the contraption. An opera stage should appear. Go through it. Watch the animation and retrieve the Wax Cylinder.
Take the crank handle from earlier to the greenroom and attach it to the base of the phonograph. The music will start up. Dial the phone to “1795”, which is the number on the phone next to the other phonograph in the library. Return to the phone in the library. Don’t pick it up yet or you’ll have to dial 1795 again from the greenroom. Watch the library phonograph animation, and put the wax cylinder on it. Then pick up the phone, and the song will be recorded onto the wax cylinder. Take out the wax cylinder again, and go up the stairs of the library back to the opera stage. Go through, and place the wax cylinder on the phonograph there. Retrieve the token.
Insert the token into the fortune teller coin slot. Retrieve the Metal Device.
Go up the elevator from the first floor of the library, back to the tower. Look at the railing in the center of the room, by where the safe used to sit. There is a little slot there, insert the metal device into it. Maneuver the screen until a key shape is formed to get the key.
Return to the central chamber and go through the doorway toward the greenroom, but don’t go through yet to the room with the phonograph and crystal device. To the left of the doorway connected to the room with the crystal device, there are some exposed bricks on the wall. Inspect it and slide the brick out. Enter the portal, and move the cylinders to form a keyhole shape. Return outside the portal, and go on the other side of the wall with the exposed brick. You’ll see a tree with a keyhole (that you just formed) and a little drawer embedded into it. Insert the key here. Turn the key clockwise until it squeaks. Return to the other side of the wall and go through the portal again. Turn the metal rod to be horizontal, and watch one of the columns move. Exit the portal and return to the other side of the wall. Now turn the key counterclockwise until it squeaks. Return to the portal and move the horizontal bar again, watch the other column move. Return to the other side of the wall once again, and finally a little drawer will have popped out, and you can retrieve the token.
Mysterious Artifact (octagonal-shaped)
Return to the fortune teller in the library. Insert the token into the coin slot, and retrieve the mysterious artifact.
The four endings can be completed in any order. Unlocking the alternate endings revolves entirely around the use of the two Mysterious Artifacts in the final puzzle room (through the dark tentacled doorway from the central chamber).
For each of the endings, you will first have to solve the final puzzle on the table. It’s the same puzzle each time. Then, when the final doorway opens, two pillars will also rise up from the table. These two pillars fit the mysterious artifacts you found.
- For the IMPRISONED ending, simply exit the final room, into the train cart doorway, without placing either artifact on the pillars, and read the letter on the train table. You will get the achievement “Box Within A Box”.
- For the ESCAPED ending, place the octagonal artifact on the left pillar (the left when facing the gravestone from the table). Solve the mini puzzle through the portal that has appeared, then come back out and press the button that has been revealed on top of the artifact. A green light will shine from the artifact onto the gravestone, and the final door will be a normal brown shade of wood, with tentacles coming out from it. Go through it. You will get the achievement “Freedom”.
- For the RELEASED ending, place the star-shaped Mysterious Artifact on the right side pillar (the right when facing the gravestone from the table). Solve the mini puzzle through the portal that has appeared, then come back out and press the button that has been revealed on top of the star-shaped artifact. A blue light should be illuminating from the artifact onto the gravestone, and the final door will look wooden, tentacled, and a dark greenish shade of color. Go through the door and finish the game. You will unlock the achievement “Release”.
- For the LOST ending, place the artifacts on their respective pillars and solve their mini puzzles. A button should now be revealed on top of each of the artifacts, which each turn on a light beam (one green, one blue) to shine onto the gravestone. If it’s on, turn off the blue light beam by clicking the button on top of the star-shaped artifact. A little window will have popped up to cover the light beam of the star-shaped artifact. Inspect the window closely and use the screwdriver on it, and slide the panel over. Now turn on the green light and the blue light for both artifacts, and exit the final door. The doorway should look something like mud rather than a distinct wooden door. You will unlock the achievement “Exile”.