The purpose of this guide is to help users use ReShade and some files to adjust the widescreen coverage of the game images, the values can be changed for different resolutions and can allow some of the black bars to be shown if the user simply wants to keep the vertical or horizontal bars or just reduce them in size.
Other FF VIII Guides:
- Achievement Guide (Disc One).
- Achievement Guide (Disc Two).
- Achievement Guide (Disc Three & Four).
- Getting The 10000 Kills Achievement Legitimately.
- How to Get Squall's Ultimate Weapon (Lionheart) on Disc #1.
- Use Your Old Save Slot on The Remaster Version.
- Missable Items and Events List.
First off download ReShade 4.3.0 from reshade.me and launch the exe to install to the game. Browse for FFVIII.exe in Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VIII Remastered\
Choose OpenGL as the API, you can uncheck all the shaders unless you want to download them. You do need to download at least one effect for it to load at all. I would recommend against having all of them installed because it would be a long load time.
After that's installed do not run the game yet. download one of these 3 files and unzip them into the game directory.
- For the 1920x1080 Height and Width stretch download this file.
- For the 1920x1080 Height only stretch download this file.
- For the 1920x1080 Width stretch only download this file.
- For those still having trouble try this download.