A guide to getting all achievements in Before Your Eyes.
How to Obtain All Achievements
Below is an explanation of certain keywords you may see next to an achievement.
- Timed means you have the possibility of ending the scene without seeing the option for this achievement. If not interested in toughing it out.
- Playthrough Consistent means you need to do all of the actions listed in the same playthrough. Exiting the game mid-playthrough should be fine as long as you click continue and do not select a chapter.
- Clarification Needed means I’m unsure about something.
Eyes of Steel
- You can win any staring contest.
Timed. Using eye-detection, and in front of the camera, you have to wait out a metronome by a little more than 30 seconds, or a little more than 30 metronome ticks. I believe that you can’t be away from keyboard—you specifically have to be in front of your camera, keeping your eyes open. Starting from Chapter 2 will put you in front of a metronome quickly.
Following is a more in-depth example of how to get it to unlock: use eye-detection mode, be in front of the camera, and during the first chapter, where you’re waiting to blink to re-enter your life, wait until the Ferryman makes the comment about dry eyes (Waiting longer here until the end of his rant should also unlock Obnoxious).
Maybe you can’t keep your eyes open for this long—no worries! If you feel yourself about to blink, hit escape to pause the game, blink a few times, and hit escape again when you’re ready to continue staring.
Other methods include holding your eyes open with your fingers, or if you understandably want a different technique, you can use a photo of yourself (or anyone, really) with your eyes open and simply hold your phone in-front of the camera. You can also complete this achievement without staring directly into the camera, keeping your eyes in a “lowered open” sort of position as long as you verify that the calibration sees it as keeping your eyes open.
Before Your Eyes
- Complete the game.
The only non-missable achievement in a playthrough. Finish the game.
- Complete the Constellation.
Timed. In Chapter 6, depending on your first decision, in either about scene two or scene four you will be at the beach. Finish the constellation before you blink to the next scene.
Clarification Needed. The constellation reappears when you’re in bed and Chloe is there in the second to last chapter, but I don’t know if you can finish it here and get the achievement.
- Choose Greece.
Timed. In Chapter 2, when your dad is flipping through the photo book, choose Greece on the second page.
- Choose Egypt.
Timed. In Chapter 2, when your dad is flipping through the photo book, choose Egypt on the second page.
- Take all notes in class.
Timed. In Chapter 4, scene two, wait around after you tell (or don’t tell) Chloe the answer. After you take notes on how the grades in the class are organized, you should get this achievement.
- Live both sides of a big decision.
In Chapter 6, scene one, when in your bed and presented with the two options, choose the opposite of whatever you did in your first playthrough.
- Ignore distractions from piano.
Playthrough Consistent. Start from Chapter 5. In Chapter 5, scene three, when playing the golden Bach book, don’t pick up the phone. Play through until you’re in your bed and have two options, and don’t pick up from the phone.
- Never show your anger.
Note: I am not 100% sure which of these are required for the achievement. It is likely possible to vary from the listed path and still get it, but I cannot confirm which listed are optional.
Start from New Game, not Chapter 2. (In theory starting from Chapter 2 should work, but people seem to struggle with getting this achievement to pop unless they start from New Game.) Never take an option to throw or crumple anything. Simply look away from the eye so there is no chance of accidentally doing the action.
Play through the game until you get the achievement. Below is a path that should guarantee you will get the achievement.
- When painting as a toddler, do not throw the painting.
- When in class, whisper the answer to Chloe.
- When talking with the art agent, sign the contract.
- Note: After your dad calls to tell you he is selling the house, you will throw the canvas. This is unavoidable, and will not affect the achievement.
- When your dad is offering you items from a box, make sure to keep everything.
- When describing your story, you can pick any option—it will not affect this achievement.
- When Chloe calls you and accuses you of faking, do not throw the phone. After this, the achievement should unlock
- Provoke the Ferryman’s ire.
Timed. Start from Chapter One. Wait through the intro scene until the Ferryman asks you to blink to live through your life again. Wait a minute or so as he says more dialogue and continues to insult you. After he says he’s done with you, the achievement should pop up.
Where’s my face?
- Recalibrate 10 times.
Nice and simple! You get this achievement by just recalibrating 10 times. You can recalibrate in-game by pressing your spacebar.