Before you Play the King's Field: Additional I game, you will definitely want to know these simple but useful tips and tricks. If you have any tips feel free to share with us!
Things to Know Before Playing
- The merchant retains all items sold to him and items sell for nearly their full value, so in practice the store can (and inevitably will) also be used as storage.
- Check back with the town NPCs including the casino owner occasionally as they have a few small side quests to offer.
- There are no plot-critical items that take inventory space except for one fairly obvious weapon in the endgame, so feel free to sell anything you don't need. They can always be bought back anyway.
- Bows are of questionable value as they take up a lot of space and prevent the use of a shield. It's easier to deal with flying enemies using magic or simply by running from them.
- Sword magic is used by equipping a magical sword and then equipping the spell from the spell menu, though the basic low-cost damage spells tend to be more useful for most of the game.
- The hole in the small room south of the labyrinth entrance in 1F (where you use a valve to quench the flames blocking the way forward) becomes a shortcut to the 6th floor after you beat the Kraken miniboss there first.
- The guard NPC in the same room will at some point give you a shovel when talked to. Most items that can be found with it are minor, but a ring needed for a side quest is buried in the middle of 1F and there's an Earth Magic Crystal buried on the tile south of the healing fountain in 5F.
- While all crumbling floors are immediately lethal, the holes on the 7th floor are all illusionary.