A beginners guide to Metropolis!
Welcome to this strategy guide. I hope that by reading this guide you will have a better understanding of how to succeed in ‘Metropolis.’
Metropolis is an in-depth and challenging strategy game based in a world of politics, real estate and city management. Each game is unique and can play out in a number of different ways.
To scroll around the city map in Metropolis you can use a number of methods.
- Drag the mouse to the edge of the screen in the direction you want to scroll.
- Use the arrow keys.
- Use the nunber keypad to jump to corresponding areas of the city map.
At the top of the screen are Department and Game icons.
Right-Click on any building to view information.
Right-Click on the small triangle in the corner of a building lot to bring up the build options for that lot.
Once you have chosen your mayor, entered your city name and become familiar with the main screen you should check a few things in order to understand some of the challenges that lie ahead.
- Check the economy. On the Treasury Department screen you will see a small graph that represents the forecast for the global economy. Bars that fall below the baseline indicate that the global economy is poor while bars that rise above the baseline represent a good global economy. This chart forecasts the global economy for the next 3 months (quartely). Take a good look at this chart and try to understand how the global economy is predicted to change. Check back at regular intervals as this indicator will change as forecasts get updated.
- Check the number of jobs and housing places. From the Social Serves Department screen you can view a range of important information. Two stats here that you should check regularly are the number of available housing places and the number of available jobs. If housing places are have a low or negative value you should look to create more housing. If unemployment is high and available jobs are few you should look to creating jobs.
- Check your income streams. From the Treasury Department you can see a breakdown of your income. Think about a strategy for increasing each of the income streams. Perhaps you want to have a focussed approach where you try to boost certain income streams or a more balanced approach where you try to boost all of them. This might be a good time to decide on how you want your city to develop. Do you want a tourist based city, an industrial city, a sustainable city, a commercial city, a city of the arts, a heritage city, a city of low crime or a mixture of all of these.
- Check the transport screen and consider initiating some form of public transport. Consider upgrading existing buildings that will fit your overall strategy.
- Think about constructing your first buildings. The value of real estate should rise with the growth of your city so building early sets you at an advantage.
- Visit the Policy Department and invoke some basic policies in accordance with your strategy.
- Check the Statistics Department and pay particular notice to the Satisfaction Survey. This tells you which areas residents are most concerned about.
Once you have made these checks and become familiar with each of the departments you will have a good idea about the challenges facing you and you may have developed a basic strategy to overcome these challenges.
Building and Selling Real Estate
Building and selling real estate is one of the key components to success in Metropolis.
To bring up the build menu, right-click on the small triangle in the corner of the lot you want to build on then select a building from the buildings list.
To sell real estate, left-click on the ‘cash’ icon. This brings up the current value of the property and an option to sell.
Real estate will usually increase in value throughout the course of the game. Certain factors such as population, the global economy and the site where the property is built all impact on the value of the property. If and when you sell a building is your decision and may be influenced by other factors in the game.
Your popularity as mayor will change throughout the course of the game. Keep an eye on your popularity rating and that of your opponents and be ready to compete in the next election. Nearly all of the factors in the game impact on your popularity so think carefully about the possible outcome of your decisions.
Here are a few basic tips and important things to consider….
- All mayors are limited to 7 terms in office.
- You have an overdraft of $60 000 000. If you exceed this you will be thrown out of office.
- Money is key. Try and avoid being short of cash.
- Patience is a virtue.
- Set the game on slow speed and have a coffee.
- Use drone mode for a relaxing tour of the city.
- Go up to Palm Beach and listen to the sound of the sea.