Tips and Tricks
1. On creating a new game, you will see the difficulty setting for the current game, this will be set to medium by default, it is not obvious that clicking this opens up a lot of other options for the game. Things like xp gain and ore abundance.
2. At some point you will build your own base. Pressing Y is the final thing you must do to turn your base on, this again is not obvious to new players and can be very frustrating, this is the same key you press to turn on and off ships.
3. Pressing F5 spawns a remote control drone, this lets you build taller than you can normally reach but even better you can drill with this drone which will help you not get stuck inside of holes, also if you ever get killed you drop all your stuff, once you respawn you will be able to stay away from whatever killed you but use your drone to pick up your belongings from safety.
4. Any turret in the game requires an ammo storage of some kind connected to the ship or base you have built. Pressing tab has a lot of menus at the top of the screen, one of them looks like a bunch of sliders, it's on the far right, clicking this lets you access all the containers and equipment in the base or ship you are in, additionally looking at any device (for example a light" and pressing P lets you access the aforementioned menu quickly and selecting "devices) from this menu will highlight the exact item you are looking at which will let you for example shut off a single specific light but this also works for other things like thrusters.
5. Finally one of the best things that is not obvious to new players is the blue print factory. If you want to test a vehicle or just learn how to build a good vehicle you can start a new game in creative, press H to bring up the creative menu, build your base or ship or whatever and then press (ctrl-o or alt-o I forget sorry) while looking at the ship or base and this will let you save it as a blueprint.
Now back in your survival world you can press tab, (there is a hotkey but I forget) and select the icon that looks like a spaceship, and then select the blueprint you want to spawn, then select "to factory" and now there will be a box in the center to drop items into, all the required materials to build the blueprint and spawn it will be shown in that menu and you place them into that box in the middle. Once done there is a timer that shows how long it will take for the factory to build the blueprint and you will be notified when it is done.
A tip to help the factory build faster is instead of placing raw resources into the factory you can place whole blocks, even junk guns can go into it, putting already crafted items into the factory such as thrusters and generators will lower the time it takes to build the blueprint, this means if you loot a large thruster or generator you don't have to break that item down first, you can just put it into the factory.
Advanced Tips and Tricks
At some point you will want to experiment with weights and volume (found in the difficulty settings) now I propose a scenario to you, you've just cleared a POI you want to make sure you've gotten all the loot but you don't want to break the whole POI down to find all the hidden stashes, what to do? Place your own core! Now when you press p you will have access to all the containers in the POI (to access the hidden containers you use the drop down menu from inside of the non hidden containers). Additionally placing a core lets you use a multitool to pick up whole blocks instead of just salvaging for raw materials.
But Wait! You've got weights and value turned on and you've got too much stuff to haul back in one go, well what you can do is connect to a specific container (the little plug icon you see when looking inside of a container) and then drag those heavy items into your yellow hotbar, now open the factory and place them into it. Warning! Do NOT place any items into the factory you are not willing to part with as there is no way to get them back other than building a blueprint in the factory that contains those items but some items such as hand guns cannot be returned no matter what.
But Wait?! Why do I even want to use the connection function? well you should have noticed by this point that some items you need for your base are too heavy to place from your personal inventory, well this is where connecting to an inventory is needed, once you are connected pressing T switches the hotbar from your inventory and the connected container which will be big enough to hold the items you normally would not be able you place.