This guide will show you how to change the max speeds allowed for anything movable. Rovers, Ships, Players, cargo drops, etc.
Change Max Ship Speed / Player Speed
If you're not sure how to get into Space Engineers' files
- Skip this if you already know how to get into Space Engineers' files.
- Go into your Steam Library
- Right click Space Engineers
- Click on Properties
- Click on the 'Local Files' tab at the top of the window
- Click 'Browse Local Files'
If you already know how to access Space Engineers' Files
Once you've opened Space Engineers in Steam apps:
- Option 1/2 All you've got to do is access the Content folder, then the Data folder, and finally scroll down to 'Environment.sbc' This is the file you want to open. You can use Notepad or any text editor to open it just fine.
- Option 2/2 Select the file path, which will have your drive and installation folders in front, but will have this, unless you specified a different installation path, in which case, it'll still look essentially the same. "SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\SpaceEngineers\"
- Add ' Content\Data\Environment.sbc ' to the end of the file's url. If asked what to open with, choose any kind of text editor. Windows comes pre-installed with Notepad, which works wonderfully.
- All that's left now is to change the values of SmallShipMaxSpeed and LargeShipMaxSpeed.
Here's what's at the very top of the file. I've removed some of the WWWC's (W3C)links, to make it easier to find the Bolded and Underlined text that you'll be accessing.
- Last but not least, once you've opened the file, you should be able to easily find the text needed, shown below. A few notes are in the section below this one.
An important note before I get into further things--Cargo drops on planets will very likely be destroyed and not land, as the parachutes deploy at a set altitude. If moving too fast, parachutes won't stop the cargo in time, and simply explode on impact. Beware the ones that fly away from you in space, as they can and will quickly accelerate. (Hydrogen thrusters are the strongest thruster in the game)
Small Ship Speed includes all small grids, as well as Player jetpack Speed. Cargo drops are also Small Ships.
Large Ship Speed includes anything that's a large grid.
It doesn't matter if it has wheels, thrusters, or both! Whatever grid size it's been made with is what speed limit it follows. Players count as small grids.
Understand that the limit of 100 m/s is in place to help ensure a smoother running environment, and Space Engineers can have difficulties calculating values at speeds higher than intended. Simply put, beware lag and lower frame rates upon reaching excessive values. Assigning excessive values itself won't harm the game or the system, but to restate it, when you go fast (like 20,000 m/s fast) and up, expect fps drops.
Fun fact. If you have hardware (a computer / laptop) capable of running SE at while you're at high speeds, and are lucky enough to not hit something while accelerating, or an unreasonable amount of thrusters, you can actually clip through asteroids thanks to the way that movement is calculated.
Don't hate, it's thanks to this simplicity in the code that allows many things to run Much smoother, and faster.