Please note: all credit goes to Xenial Jesse!
Not everyone knows that you can race against ghosts in Dirt Rally 2.0, right there on the track with you. You can select ghosts from any player in the world, for any rally stage. This guide explains how.
Guide to Race with Ghosts
- Go to Time Trial mode, select a country, and select a stage.
- You’ll arrive at the Vehicle Select screen. Decide on the class you want to race with and highlight (but don’t select) any car in that class.
- Now go to the Leaderboard by pressing Y on a standard controller, or your setup’s equivalent, or you can use the mouse.
- Navigate up and down the board to highlight a time you’d like to race against, and press Y again (or equivalent) to open the Options. Note that if you’re using the mouse it’s a little fiddly to click the Options button while still leaving the time highlighted.
- Select “Select Ghost”.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 for up to 3 ghosts total.
- Return to the Vehicle Select screen, select your car from the class you had highlighted, and continue as normal.
When you start driving you’ll see the ghosts you selected right there on the track with you. Once you include your own car, plus your own personal ghost, it means you can be racing a Time Trial with up to 5 cars on screen at once. 😀 We can’t even do that in simultaneous rallies online!
- The Vehicle Select screen isn’t the only way to reach the Time Trial leaderboards. You can also do it from the Service Area, and you’ll still be able to choose ghosts this way. Going from the Vehicle Select screen means you can easily check out different classes’ boards before loading the stage. Going from the Service Area means you can easily switch in some new ghosts for a track you’re attacking without having to go through any loading screens.
- With ghosts enabled, new options will appear in both the Service Area and the pause menu to individually enable and disable the current ghosts.
- You will notice that outside a 5-ish second window, navigating up and down the leaderboard is quite clunky. This is normal but is also a good reason to add Steam friends; you can toggle the display to show only your friends’ times, saving you all the scrolling around.