Cataclysms: How they work, their blessings & curses, and tips.
Definitive Guide to Cataclysms
You unlock your first Cataclysm after conquering an entire galaxy.
Tl;dr: Cataclysms give you 1 Primal Candy, which increase all production by x4, and also gives you a set of Blessings and Curses to choose from.
When you’re ready to start a Cataclysm, you can click the “Catsclysm” button on the galaxy map to enter it. You’ll see 2 prompts before proceeding: The 1st tells you about the Cataclysm; the 2nd checks that you’re sure you want to continue. This means it’s safe to click the button if you want more info.
The 1st prompt tells you what you’ll lose, keep, and gain.
The first prompt
That prompt doesn’t cover everything, so here’s a complete breakdown.
You’ll lose everything your normally lose in an Ascension:
- All your resources (metal, experience, fuel)
- Galaxy map progress
- Chunks and placed buildings
Additionally, you’ll also lose:
- All your candy. You’ll need to acquire it again, starting from zero.
- All your Ascension upgrades. These will need to be purchased again.
- The stat for your “Total Experience” will be reset.
- All achievements.
- All Library logs
- All food.
- All discovered recipes (although you’ll need to unlock the relevant Ascension upgrades to cook them again).
- All the upgrades you’ve unlocked will remain visible.
Most of your stats are retained, including the number of times you’ve joined each Guild and League, so the upgrades that use those stats will continue to grow in power.
- 1x Primal Candy. Each of these boost all production by a massive x4!
After entering a Cataclysm, you will need to choose 2 Blessings, and 1 curse. The options available to you are random, but you’ll have a pretty big selection to choose from.
For each successive Cataclysm, the number of Blessings and Curses to you have to pick will increase: In your 2nd Cataclysm you’ll choose from 4 Blessings & 2 Curses, then 6/3, 8/4, etc.
The Cataclysm menu. This was before patch 2.0.2, which roughly doubled the number of options, and buffed many Blessings.
The menu after patch 2.0.2 and after entering the 4th Cataclysm.
At the start of each Cataclysm, you get to choose your Blessings and Curses again, so you’re only locked into your choices until your next Cataclysm.
Each successive Cataclysm will give you another Primal Candy, up to the tenth Cataclysm. After that, you won’t gain any more Primal Candy, but you’ll be able to toggle on as many or few blessings/curses as you want.
Blessings are powerful boons with a wide range of effects. Your choice of Blessings will depend on your playstyle, and while some may be subjectively better, it’s up to you which buffs you’d like best.
Celestial Cornucopia (3)
- Lunchboxes gain a +10% chance to contain food from Basic Recipes
- Lunchboxes gain a +20% chance to contain food from Basic Recipes
- Lunchboxes gain a +30% chance to contain food from Basic Recipes.
Lunchboxes gain a +10% chance to contain food from Advanced Recipes
Lordly Defiance (5)
- Choose +1 upgrades to keep between Ascensions. x1.1 All Production
- Choose +2 upgrades to keep between Ascensions. x1.2 All Production
- Choose +3 upgrades to keep between Ascensions. x1.3 All Production
- Choose +4 upgrades to keep between Ascensions. x1.4 All Production
- Choose +5 upgrades to keep between Ascensions. x1.5 All Production
Notes: One of the best Blessings IMO, especially early on. It’s less powerful around the mid-game, but becomes indispensable later, around the tier 10 unlocks.
Pragmatic Insight (1)
- +100% effects of chunk quirks
Notes: Incredibly helpful. Eg. makes Insectoid Chunks give 2x production, instead of x1.5.
Serene Sweets (5)
- Gain +50% extra candy when Ascending per day spent in the Ascension, up to +50%
- Gain +50% extra candy when Ascending per day spent in the Ascension, up to +100%
- Gain +50% extra candy when Ascending per day spent in the Ascension, up to +150%
- Gain +50% extra candy when Ascending per day spent in the Ascension, up to +200%
- Gain +50% extra candy when Ascending per day spent in the Ascension, up to +250%
Notes: Very handy for idle players. You can track how long has passed with a stat added in v2.0.2, “Time Since Last Ascension”.
Spiteful Revival (3)
- Ships gain +20% chance to heal 100% health whenever they die, once per expedition
- Ships gain +40% chance to heal 100% health whenever they die, once per expedition
- Ships gain +75% chance to heal 100% health whenever they die, once per expedition
Notes: Great for idle combat players.
Recollected Might (3)
- Starts Ascensions with +3 random upgrades from tiers you’ve had access to in the previous Ascension. x1.05 All Production
- Starts Ascensions with +6 random upgrades from tiers you’ve had access to in the previous Ascension. x1.1 All Production
- Starts Ascensions with +9 random upgrades from tiers you’ve had access to in the previous Ascension. x1.15 All Production
Notes: Chosen upgrades are totally random, so this Blessing is most powerful when you’re just starting out, as you’re more likely to get a high-tier upgrade for free.
Curses are detrimental effects to your game. Some are objectively harder to play with than others. The harder ones can create more blockages or stop you from buying certain buildings, limiting your progression and preventing you from acquiring synergy bonuses.
Curses that randomly block things like buyable buildings or purchasable ships will change which items they affect after each Ascension. You might get lucky, or you might find yourself in a very difficult situation, but you can always enter a new Ascension to try your luck again.
Be very careful which Curses you acquire, as there’s no way to undo a curse once it’s selected, until you reach your next Cataclysm. Once you do, then like with Blessings, your previous choices will be reset and you’ll get to choose your Curses again. This means that if a certain Curse proved to be too difficult, you don’t have to choose it in your next Cataclysm.
Agonizing Patience (1)
- +100% delay between health packs appearing
Cadmean Silence (2)
- +3 random unlockable ships become permanently unavailable at the start of Ascensions
- +5 random unlockable ships become permanently unavailable at the start of Ascensions
Notes: Forces you to mix up battle strategies. Doesn’t affect Wasps. Cooking Stygian Chocolate/Infernal S’mores helps.
Desolate Barrens (2)
- +50% Obstacles in new chunks
- +100% Obstacles in new chunks
Notes: Warning: This Curse may prevent you from acquiring certain synergies.
Eldritch Blueprints (3)
- +1 random unlockable buildings become permanently unavailable at the start of Ascensions
- +2 random unlockable buildings become permanently unavailable at the start of Ascensions
- +3 random unlockable buildings become permanently unavailable at the start of Ascensions
Notes: Warning: This is probably the hardest Curse of all. Leave until last, if you can.
Primal Darkness (2)
- +50% Building Energy Consumption
- +100% Building Energy Consumption
Notes: The first level of this Curse is one of the easiest Curses to start with.