Before you Play the Control game, you will definitely want to know these simple but useful tips and tricks. If you have any tips feel free to share with us!
Things to Know Before Playing
- Your melee attack can break open glass walls, sometimes allowing you to get into spaces you couldn’t otherwise get into yet.
- You’ll get new traversal abilities as the game progresses. If you can’t get through a certain area, you’re probably missing the relevant ability.
- You probably won’t get enough skill points to fill up the whole tree, so focus. To get enough skill points to fill up the skill tree, you need to find hidden areas.
- Your telekinetic throw is one of your most effective moves against most enemies, consider upgrading it early.
- Occasionally check back into the Janitor’s Office, there are a few optional side missions there waiting for you. They’re not too interesting, but are an easy and chill way to get ability points.
- There are some areas that the main story won’t lead you through, particularly in Research. Feel free to explore.
- Don’t bother spending resources on creating mods, you’ll usually find plenty just laying about.
- Each resource for upgrading your gun and creating mods only drops from particular areas or enemies. Check them in your inventory, there’ll be a three letter code telling you where to get it from (e.g. “MTN” means it drops in Maintenance).
- Experiment with all weapon types to see what suits you, but personally I’ve found Pierce one of the most valuable because it’s the only good way to deal with certain enemy types.
- The optional time-limited missions are just that, optional. You really don’t need to do any of them if they seem like too much of a pain. Same for the Board Countermeasures.
- If you attempt a timed mission and fail it, it will disappear from the mission list, but it will come back eventually. They’re designed to be a challenge, especially in the early game.
- There’s an after-story free-roam mode where you can finish up the rest of the side missions if you want to.
- There are breakable walls that can be smashed open with melee attacks, or explosive weapons. They’re often hidden behind large paintings.
- You may want to hold off on exploring until you unlock the Levitate skill. It becomes available by completing main storyline missions.
- Do not overlook the Seize ability. It makes a lot of late-game fights much easier when you have another target to soak up damage for you.
- Enemies lose a lot of their firing accuracy when Jesse is hovering, and it doesn’t eat up any of her launch meter either. Always Be Floating during combat.
- Assist Mode allows for a lot of things up to immortality, but you can actually still die from fall damage regardless of settings. Watch your step.