Before you play the Mafia II game, you will definitely want to know these simple but useful tips and tricks. If you have any tips feel free to share with us!
Things to Know Before Playing
- Downtown (north of the docks) there is a clothes shop that is bigger than the usual ones, whith some more exlusive clothing.
- The police can recognize you based on you appearance, you car, or both. So even if you change your clothes, the cops will still give chase if you drive a stolen car. You can get rid of your wanted level by changing the licence plates of your car, getting a new outfit or using a telephone kiosk to call a contact and bribe the police. The wanted logo will give you a hint (i.e. if it’s a license plate, you need a different car; a wanted poster, change your clothes)
- Shops and gas stations can be robbed (owners of gun shops will fire back at you!) and cars can be sold at the junkyard and the docks. There’s really not much to spend your money on (getting your shoes shined!), though, and you will lose all your savings several times throughout the story (around every 5 chapters or so).
- Two people you meet in the story, Guiseppe and that military guy, own stores with some unique weaponry.
- Cars do not become “surrogate health bars” in this game; crashing your car at high speeds (or being crashed into, for that matter) does damage and can kill you!
- When driving, cops only really notice car collisions they see, collisions with their vehicles and speeding. You can run stop signs and red lights at your leisure (so long as you aren’t breaking one of those three “rules”).
- There are only a couple missions with branches in them (usually “Do/don’t do X, get more money”); seeing as money is only temporary, don’t bother going back to replay them for a better outcome. The branches don’t change anything; issues that arise should you fail an “optional objective” are the same as if you succeed.