Not organized in any particular order, just a collection of things that may be useful to new players.
Tips for New Players
The overseer (little yellow thing that follows you around) uses specific symbols with different meanings:
- Predator Symbol: Used to point out dangers in the environment. Especially useful for detecting pole mimics or invisible lizards!
- Batfly Symbol: Points you in the direction of a room with batfly nests. Self-explanatory.
- Shelter Symbol: Points you to the closest shelter. The overseer will point you towards a shelter after you’ve eaten enough food. If you haven’t eaten enough for hibernation and the overseer is using this symbol, it means rain is coming.
- Food Symbol: Shows you edible things. Self-explanatory.
- Slugcat Symbol: Points you in the general direction of where you should be going.
- Holograms: Only show up at specific points in the game to communicate a more complex idea that can’t be explained with symbols alone. You don’t have to worry about this.
Side note: scavengers don’t like overseers and will attack them. don’t stand inbetween an armed scav and an overseer.
An especially important section considering how many players get stuck in drainage system (happened to me too lmao).
You may notice that while underwater, your slugcat has a bit of light around it. This is your oxygen level. Do not spam the jump button while underwater- it provides a small speed boost but will deplete your oxygen.
This plant will increase your oxygen level for a bit. Useful in drainage system but only hold one at a time because their effects don’t stack.
There are also leeches in almost every body of water. Standing in a dry place for a bit will cause them to fall off. Having too many leeches on you will weigh you down – they can be stunned with popping snails.
Misc Stuff That I Dont Care About Organizing
- Centipedes are edible in all difficulties.
- Walking and jumping creates noise that may attract enemies. Laying down and crawling is silent.
- Configure your controls if you find them uncomfortable, you don’t have to do a bunch of complicated movement to get through the game.
- Throwing rocks/spears while crouch-jumping will increase the length of your jump.
- Spears can be thrown in walls/floors to create temporary poles.
- A dark gradient at the bottom of the screen means that falling into it will kill you (mostly in high places).
- Slugcat can hold one inedible item in their stomach. This item will stay with you if you use a passage.
- From your perspective: Slugcat will throw items from their left hand first.
- Throwing a rock at a lizard’s head will stun it and flip it over, leaving it vulnerable to a spear attack.
- Don’t try to time a pole grab while falling, simply holding up will automatically make the slugcat hold onto a pole.