In this guide we briefly set aside our massochism and learn to beat the fourth map.
Some basic/advanced tips I can give right from the get go.
- If your starting position has little to no trees restart. 70% of the game is map gen. You need lots and lots of trees, grass is optional.
- Tying in with 1 food is everything on this map. You will be starved of food sources and need to expand constantly. I would say any hunter cottages that give 5+ food is worth taking.
- Never use your soldier. The noise he makes defending a wall will attract huge amounts of zombies. In my first attempt at map 4 I used him to defend a wall and by day 9 i got hit by a random wave of 100+ zombies.
- Hopefully you know this by now but HOUSES, HOUSES, HOUSES. You need to be repeating the cycle of make food, make power, make houses every chance you get. (unless makingsnipers or thanatos in which case you need workers and food)
- Before the first wave you need to have 10-20 rangers. you wont need ballistas at most just a double wood wall.
- In my experience you dont need stone walls for the first 4 waves really, making double and triple wood walls is enough.
- You need to be constantly clearing zombies around the map from day 2. This means putting your 4 archers into 2 groups of 2 and having them constantly killing zombies(this means heavy micro especially if runners are pulled). Expanding is everything and the longer you wait to start clearing the slower you go. Point 8 ties into this.
- With point 7 your archers most likely wont be able to cover all sides of your base so put random wall segments, zombies will attack those first instead of your buildings if they see them first. This will give you time to react.
- Kill your soldier to open up food and income. Seriously, if you need to use your soldier you have probably already lost.
- Try and get your soldier center up by day 5-6 if possible. Afterwards once you have enough rangers get your stone workshop up.
- You dont need to have a ballista at every wall. The walls you should have a ballista at are... Big wall segments and walls that have a city of doom near them. Other then that dont rush it and do it at your own pace. Until wave 5 your rangers/snipers should be fine for defense(if you can get ballistas up tho by all means do) Otherwise just put a ranger patrolling your walls.
- As a general guide for population you wont have nearly as many citizens are the other maps due to the nature of this one. it took me until around day 25-30ish to have an income of 1000, by day 60ish i had an income of around 1700.
- Pick up any wood that is 10+ any stone that is 4+ (3+ if you are desperate), any iron that is 3+ preferably.
- Pre plan your housing districts to have space in the center for a bank and market.
- You only need 1 warehouse. Workers are a big resource due to food and your warehouses take up 8 of them. If you have multiple areas that produce a ton of food you can probably do multiple but I dont know the math on that one. I beat the map with 1 warehouse though.
- On this map especially you will find yourself with not enough workers to do anything but you will have tons of wood and gold, when this happens build more wall layers.
- Don’t use gates, this might feel weird but gates are zombie magnets, in my experience zombies will always attack gates first. Gates are bigger then wall segments so more zombies can hit them at once and the hp a gate has isnt worth it for the area it covers. If you need to move units in or out destroy part of the wall then rebuild. (for alot of my game i had open holes in my walls and it was fine since a ballista covered it, zombies will still stop to attack the walls even if there is a hole).
- This is my personal preference but I usually get 2 wood cutters before my first stone quarry. You dont need stone until you plan to make your soldier center/wood workshop however everything needs tons of wood in the beginning.
- Snipers are stong but this map has a high tendency of sending tons of runners and banshees at once against them. Dont be careless with them. a group below 20 snipers can be wiped out on this map(it has happened to me to often when I just a move them). Once you have 20+ snipers in a group tho they wont die(unless RNG really hates you) Set them to highest priority not closest enemy).
- Day 75 is when you stop expanding, from this point forward everything goes into walls/ballistas. The final wave starts around day 92.
- Thanatos are love, Thanatos are life. The more thanatos you have the better your chances of survival. In my run i had 73 by time the final wave hit and I didnt lose a single defensive position. Once you have proper walls and 10+ thanatos you dont even need to bring your snipers or rangers back while they clear the map for a wave. Thanatos can stop any wave.
- You dont need executors... seriously you dont. In my experience workers and space for power are tough at the end so you need to spend them wisely(creating more mills takes workers). A ballista takes 2 workers 2 energy, upgrading it to an executor takes 8 more energy and 2 more workers. At critical spots you can build one but dont spam them. Make more ballistas instead.
- The order of priorities for your defensive forces on the final wave goes as follows. If you have positive oil gen make thanatos, once you cant get any more oil make ballistas. Also do you like your wall set up? it isnt good enough add more walls.
- This map says as a positive it has more stone and iron. This is actually a downside since they always spawn on choke points. The screen shot below shows a nice design for choke points ruined by mineral spawns(lower right corner of screen shot.
This star(ish) design forces enemies to group more instead of evently splitting around the circle.
Dont use towers, they are a waste of resources!