This guide will demonstrate how to get rid of weeds It’s one of several methods for increasing crop yield.
Definitive Guide to Weeding & Spraying
How Weeds Grow
Weeds present a high potential yield loss as they compete with crops for sunlight, water, nutrients, and space. You want to remove them as fast and thoroughly as possible. You can deactivate weed growth in the game settings if you don’t want to deal with it.
- Tip! After plowing, using a plow or spader, weeds will not grow. Find out more!
- Tip! You get 20% more yield if your harvest is free of weeds.
In Farming Simulator, weeds are a type of field state. There are different stages of weed growth: small, medium & large. Depending on their size, different machinery is used – more on that below. Weeds can be removed at any time before the crops are ready to be harvested.
- Small weeds grow after only a couple of hours of in-game time. You’ll notice green patches. Those little troublemakers will multiply, quickly. If you don’t get rid of them, your field gets infested, and it will only get harder to remove them.
- Medium weeds are becoming visually more diverse and appear in higher density.
- Large weeds mature into even higher and blooming flowers, easily distinguishable from your crops. Now, you need to act, and it’s your last chance.
- Tip! The field info box tells you, what growth stage the weeds are at and what machinery is required to get rid of them.
How to Remove Weeds
There are three tools to remove weeds from your fields: weeders, hoes and sprayers. They are used in different growth stages.
Use a weeder against small weeds
Weeders will mechanically remove small weeds. There is an exception to the rule: a weeder can’t be used with crops that are planted in rows (corn and potatoes).
At the dealership, you find weeders in the weeder category of the tools section. They differ in terms of working width, power requirement, and additional functionality.
Use a hoe against medium weeds
Hoes are used for medium weeds. But, they can remove small weeds as well. They are designed, so they can operate between crops that are planted in rows without destroying them, too. Hoes are also found in the weeder category.
Use a sprayer against large weeds
Sprayers are used as a last resort for large weeds, in case you missed removing the weeds in their early stages. Only herbicide works on large weeds. The machines are found in the sprayer category of the shop. Herbicide is found in the pallets section.
Sprayers work on small, medium and large weeds. But, this is the most expensive option, as herbicide creates additional expenses and comes with a yield penalty for applying chemicals to your crops. Use it only when necessary!
- Tip! Rent a sprayer, if you don’t have the money to buy it and only use it once.
You have now learned the most crucial information regarding weeds. Take your time, and when you’re ready, move on to the next topic. If you stick to our instructions, you’ll be a top-notch virtual farmer in no time!