Before you play the Ghost of Tsushima game, you will definitely want to know these simple but useful tips and tricks. If you have any tips feel free to share with us!
Things to Know Before Playing
- If you select Japanese voice acting, characters' lips still move in time with the English voice acting.
- There is a shrine SE of the "Archer's Rise" area name on your map called "Arrow Peak". If you complete this shrine you will get a charm that essentially doubles the resources you pick up, saving a lot of time.
- The upgrades to your tanto will make assassinations take less time to perform and draw less attention, but there's no "damage" stat to worry about like there is with your sword. With enemies like camp leaders, if the assassination is not a guaranteed one-shot, the prompt will read "Critical hit" instead, so you'll know.
- If you end up having the camp leader show up in a Standoff (including the Standoff kill chain from the upgrades) you can kill them in one hit too if you get the timing right.
- When on the map screen you can press right on the d-pad to track some things using the Traveler clothes you get as part of a quest. Certain upgrades let you track more using the guiding wind with these clothes. You don't need to be wearing the clothes to track things.
- When changing armoor sets if you've upgraded them you can change their look to previous versions, if say you dislike the big shoulder pads or something, and it's just cosmetic. Should say press triangle to change armor's look or something, same screen where you change color-sets when equipping.
- Swiping down on the touchpad bows, some people like it when you bow to them, some shrine things have a sign with someone bowing on it and bowing in those spots is neat but I think it's just an easter egg type of deal.
- If the game is telling you to heal you should do so immediately and probably twice, it usually tells you this when you're 1~2 hits from death.
- You don't have to be on the ground/a roof to initiate an Assassination or Chain Assassination. If you're on a roof/cliff/etc. and there are some guys 15 feet away from where you could assassinate them by standing on the edge, you can totally get a running start, jump at the edge of the roof and freefall towards them. As long as they don't get to the red "alert" phase before you fly close enough to them to get the Assassinate/Chain Assassinate prompt, you can still initiate assassinations mid flight.
- The game often likes to put enemies in front of sliding doors, facing away. Until you get the "Assassinate through a sliding door" technique in a required story mission, there's no way to take advantage of this.
- The more you use stealth/Ghost attacks, the more storms you'll get.
- When you liberate all the strongholds in region the whole map for that region is revealed. If you zoom out, you can see how many are left for a region (if it's red, it's not liberated). The first area gets some new places to liberate after you finish the first act, but the second area can be completely liberated when you finish the second act's final mission.
- If you get to a large camp and see the warning, "Entering an Area of Overwhelming Enemy Forces", this means that you cannot liberate that camp. As far as I've seen, this is reserved for camps that involve story missions and they don't want you sequence breaking. There are a lot of enemies, and even if you kill them all the game spawns some more.
- Deer are sacred, so you don't get anything for hunting them. You'll get predator hides for anything that can spot and attack you on the ground (Bears, boars, dogs, but not birds of prey).